New research another Koch's Postulate met for Rose Rosette Virus

henry_kuskaMay 2, 2013

Although the rose rosette virus had been identified, the confirmation had not been complete. From the thesis: "Koch postulates could not be fulfilled for the virus as there were no local lesion alternative hosts identified and virus purifications were unsuccessful (Laney, 2010)."

H. Kuska comment: Koch's 4 postulates are the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch's_postulates

"1) The microorganism must be found in abundance in all organisms suffering from the disease, but should not be found in healthy organisms."

H.Kuska comment: they met this postulate.

"2) The microorganism must be isolated from a diseased organism and grown in pure culture."

H.Kuska comment: they comment about why they could not meet this postulate.

"3) The cultured microorganism should cause disease when introduced into a healthy organism."

H.Kuska comment: They were not successful with graft transmission tests.

"4) The microorganism must be reisolated from the inoculated, diseased experimental host and identified as being identical to the original specific causative agent."

H.Kuska comment. This one depends on postulate 3.

-------------------------------------
The authors feel that they have now satisfied the third Koch postulate .

Title: "Rose rosette virus is the causal agent of Rose rosette disease"

Authors: P. L. Di Bello (1), I. E. TZANETAKIS (1)
(1) Department of Plant Pathology and Cell and Molecular Biology Program,
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, U.S.A.
Phytopathology 103(Suppl. 1):S1.3

Abstract: Rose rosette disease (RRD) was discovered in the 1930s causing witchesâÂÂ-broom on roses in North America. In 2011, a new virus, provisionally named Rose rosette virus (RRV) was identified and perfectly correlated with typical RRD symptoms. Previous research has shown that RRD is transmitted by the eriophyid mite Phylocoptes fructiphilius. KochâÂÂs postulates have not been completed for RRD/RRV since no RRV local lesion host has been identified, nor has it been feasible to purify the virus. P. fructiphilius mites were collected from Rosa multiflora affected by RRD. Mites were individually transferred to roses, which previously tested negative for RRV. Two months post inoculation; material tested positive for RRV. Mosaic and mottling patterns developed on the leaves, followed by distorted leaves, and proliferation of shoots; all of which are described as RRD symptoms. This is
the first time P. fructiphilius has been proven to transmit RRV and the subsequent development of typical RRD provides evidence that RRV is the causal agent of RRD."

Here is a link that might be useful: link for abstract

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawchicago(zone 5a)

Thank you, Henry, for helping us to understand the research and abstract. I like what you posted:

2) The microorganism must be isolated from a diseased organism and grown in pure culture." ... they comment about why they could not meet this postulate.

"3) The cultured microorganism should cause disease when introduced into a healthy organism." .... They were not successful with graft transmission tests.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Austin roses at Whole Foods
Just returned from Whole Foods store in the New Orleans...
suebelle_neworleans
Palatine roses in Ontario...
Has anyone ever ordered from Palatine Roses? If so,...
scott_madison
Costco Roses
I was browsing on the Canadian website of Costco and...
jjpeace (zone 5 US/zone 6 Can)
Iceberg vs. Pope John Paul II
I am considering placing white roses near the entry...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Sponsored Products
Surface Mount Tiles: Shanko Building Materials 204 White Plated Steel 2 ft. x 2
$18.95 | Home Depot
Hudson Valley Lighting | Jasper 10 Light Chandelier
YLighting
Black Bed Side Lamps: Designer 32.5 in. Aged Black Incandescent Table Lamp CLI-L
Home Depot
Modern Classics Pewter and Dove Gray Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$876.60 | Bellacor
Carnation Home Fashions Posy Flower Stripe PEVA Shower Curtain with Build in Hoo
$14.99 | Hayneedle
'Everything Improves' Wine Glass
$8.99 | zulily
Control Box with Paddle Dimmer and 15A GFCI by Legrand
$84.99 | Lumens
Jonathan Adler Parker Collection 15" High Bronze Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™