Help with Identification

rsmoore27(7)April 1, 2014

If anyone could help identify this tree, it would help me out. I think this is a good representation of what's needed, but if there's something more specific that's needed, please let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
j0nd03

Looks like acer rubrum to me. Definitely a maple. Maybe a tad chlorotic which acer rubrum is susceptible to in high ph soils. Where are you located?

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 12:26PM
rsmoore27(7)

I'm in Dallas, TX. I'm new to all of this, but I'm assuming that chloritic is bad? It wouldn't surprise me, because I'm concerned the tree's actually dead. Those pictures are from a year ago, and now, there are no leaves whatsoever (fell off late last summer) and there don't appear to be any growing back. I noticed yesterday that it actually appears to be leaning a little as well.

I can get new pictures of the current state later today.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 12:32PM
j0nd03

Dallas would be a location acer rubrum would show signs of chlorosis to some degree. The fact that it hasn't leafed out yet and dropped it's leaves early is quite worrisome, I agree with you. Scratch the bark on limbs/twigs and see what color is underneath. Green means it is alive and brown means it is dead. Our red maples have flowered but not broken leaf buds here yet but at your location it should be about time for that tree to put out leaves. A picture would be great, too if you can manage :-)

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 13:58

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 12:44PM
rsmoore27(7)

Thanks so much for the thoughts. I'll scratch the bark when I got home this evening to see what color's inside. I'll also get a current picture and see what you guys think.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 2:00PM
rsmoore27(7)

I took a few more pictures last night. Unfortunately, it looks like it's probably dead. Here are some pictures showing the current status. Assuming I'm correct that its dead, would the prudent move be calling someone to come remove it?

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 10:15AM
j0nd03

Well that bark sure does not look good. Not seeing it person, I'd still give a couple weeks as it looks like other trees in your neighborhood are just now waking up and leafing out. If nothing has happened by May, time for removal if you don't want a dead tree in the lawn =(

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:40AM
rsmoore27(7)

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely appreciate it.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Snapped Fiddle Leaf Fig
Hi All, This afternoon I took my Fiddle Leaf Fig to...
Belle Roberts
Question About Planting Dogwood Tree
I bought a nice looking pink dogwood tree today - about...
alameda/zone 8
Temporary Potting Small Trees - Central Florida
I have a small Magnolia tree, about 2 1/2' tall, and...
sunshinerivera
Dual Leader Dawn Redwood?
I have a dawn redwood that I planted in April 2014....
Steve Gall
Does anyone on here have a Cercis canadensis - Eastern Redbud Tree?
I want to get a couple of them. Are they wind tolerant?...
ilovemytrees
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™