GPS in the rose garden?

Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elevMay 20, 2012

On Facebook yesterday I noticed a post on the wall of Bierkreek (the organic rose nursery in The Netherlands) with a picture of tractor in their fields with a caption that described planting rose rootstocks with the tractor driven by GPS. I found this absolutely intriguing and commented on it. Today Hans ver Hage, one of the owners, posted a video on my Facebook wall, and this video showed that autopiloted tractor in action. A notebook computer appears to be attached to the front of the tractor in the driver's area, and in back of the tractor is some kind of cubicle with seats. People sit (looks like a row of 4 people seated side by side) in there and attach individual rootstocks to some kind of wheel each one has, which as the tractor moves forward, circles into the ground and progressively places each rootstock in the soil. The discs of the tractor appear to follow behind and cover the newly-placed rootstocks. Just how neat is that?

My roses are lucky to get aluminium wire on tags, and as to their location in the garden, well if I get around to it, they are written in with a pencil I use to crudely sketch a map. Ugh, how passe! Now how to incorporate GPS into the *home* garden?;)

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

Well, if your garden is that large and you have so many roses you NEED a GPS, I'd say you have much larger issues to consider, Melissa! LOL! Kim

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 6:04PM
seil zone 6b MI

ditto what Kim said!

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 9:13PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Yeah.

Here -- when something eats the tag (like a puppy) I can still usually remember what it is.

Jeri

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 10:02PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

If your rose garden is large enough to warrant a GPS, then you can just have the butler take care of it. ;^)

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
bart_2010
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™