Can you help me identify this tree?

tomstroud79April 16, 2014

I have recently acquired this tree in my front garden and i have no idea what it is. Can you help me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

cant focus on a leaf ...

ken

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:53PM
huggorm

Seems to be a lot of bottlebrush-like flowers? That could point to salix, but a closeup would help a lot

This post was edited by Huggorm on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 15:27

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:26PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Appears to be Salix caprea. Almost certainly a self sown seedling tree. You might need to think about whether you want to keep it or not as it is essentially a very large weed in a garden situation.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:03PM
huggorm

It is pretty well staked to be a volunteer though. I guess it is some kind of garden variety

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:19PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes, it is staked but that could be because someone didn't know what it was and thought it was an intentional planting. Particularly since the stake doesn't look like a proper garden stake but some sort of broom handle. Or maybe decided to leave a volunteer and grow it up as a standard. The flowers look like female ones and an intentional planting would probably be of a male tree for the silvery catkins. I don't know of any S caprea which are suitable for a small garden here except the weeping Kilmarnock willow and this isn't that. I suppose this could be the graft stock of a Kilmarnock which has grown out although Kilmarnock is a male tree. S caprea just isn't a widely planted garden tree in the UK. But they are very common as inblown seedlings. Perhaps our friend in Stroud will come back with some more clues.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 3:15AM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

I would dig it up and remove it, even in my garden of two hectares and 12 ponds I'd get rid of it. There are many varieties of willow and almost all are not suitable for a small garden.
My grandmother's maiden name was Stroud. The Birdman of Alcatraz was named Robert Stroud. I've been to Stroud, Oklahoma, and now I just learned there's town in England called Stroud. Made my day.
Mike

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 6:12AM
More Discussions
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
Snapped Fiddle Leaf Fig
Hi All, This afternoon I took my Fiddle Leaf Fig to...
Belle Roberts
Bare Roots and the Ticking Clock
I'm having bare root trees delivered to my apartment...
lone_elm_z6
Vulcan Magnolia
Just purchased a 4.5 inch "Vulcan" Magnolia....it...
viper114
Would windex overspray hurt dormant oak or metasequoia?
Was cleaning the windows outside with Windex today....
hairmetal4ever
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™