Ornamental Onion

vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)March 17, 2006

I posted on the Allium forum, but they don't seem to be active right now.

Last fall I ordered some Ornamental Onion 'Azure' from Brecks and the bulbs came straight from Holland sometime in October. I never did get them in the ground and they are supposed to be spring bloomers...right around when tulips fade off. Do you think I can get them in this spring and hope for late summer, fall blooms or should I just keep them cool and dry until fall? I've never grown these before.

Vera

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsgalihad(5 CO)

If it were me I would stick them in the ground right away. That way they at least won't dry out and die on me. You may not get any bloom this year if they are something that needs chill to set bloom but I would think they would at least put up some leaves so you know they are alive. I've planted garlic in mid spring instead of fall like you are supposed to and it did ok.

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 11:38AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

If I put them in the ground now in cold, wet soil without roots they won't rot?

Vera

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 2:41PM
mrsgalihad(5 CO)

Well, I suppose you are probably wetter there than I am here so I'm really not sure. You could always wait till things dry out and warm up a bit. But me, personally, I wouldn't wait until fall because I'm not very good at keeping bulbs in good shape. You could try the more general Bulbs forum. It looks like it's busy over there.

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 4:12PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Ok thanks, I'll do that.

Vera

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 10:32PM
ccoupkir(z5 Il)

The rule of thumb for bulbs in Zone 5 is that they can be planted any time (fall through winter) as long as the soil isn't frozen. I have some bulbs in my garage that I was hoping to get in the ground last week during our "warm" spell. But, alas, it was not to be!!

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 8:27AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Well the ground is thaw...I guess I'll get them in tomorrow! Thanks a bunch!
Today I spent the afternoon cleaning up the creeping thyme, grasses, etc, and got some more jugs out today: Wave Petunia (red), Maltese Cross, Cosmos, Fountain Grass, Harlequin Marigold, Salvia 'East Friesland, Larkspur 'Earl Grey', and Lavatera (Rose Mallow).

Vera

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Is it too late to sow these….
Just starting winter sowing this week. Would love...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Annuals
Can you wintersow, Tithonia and Salvia now? I have...
bellarosa
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Green gunk on my soil: can I salvage?
Here's the facts: Newbie WSer Bought the Miracle Grow...
emcd124
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™