Honeysuckle

melfield_wy(5b Wyoming)June 9, 2012

My apologies if this has been covered before... I'm new to perennials. Does anyone know of a honeysuckle variety that hardy down to zones 4 or 5?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i am in z5 ...

and i have the old ugly standard.. everywhere ... probably invasive..

and the vine version with white and yellow flowers ... no winter damage at all ... i do not know its name ...

Here is a link that might be useful: LONICERA japonica 'Halliana'

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 5:15PM
wieslaw59

Lonicera periclymenum is supposed to be hardy to zone 4. There are several varieties of it, of which Serotina and Belgica Select are widely available here in Europe, do not know about America though. Some of the clones are very fragrant, but some are less so.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 7:24PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Around here, Honeysuckle can mean:

a shrub
a vine
some of the oldtimers even refer to Columbine as Honeysuckle

Kevin

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:32PM
melfield_wy(5b Wyoming)

Thanks! What I am looking for is the vining type - that creeps up a trellis like Clematis.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 10:34PM
mrtulin

goldflame. not a tight twiner....needs support but lovely over a stone wall or some other support. Be careful not to plant the invasive one. Here in ma in zone 5a, a conservation property's trees and shrubs have been smothered in the yellow white one, probably japanese honeysuckle]

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 10:51PM
MaeT(z5 NL, Canada)

There are quite a lot of Honeysuckle Vines hardy down to Zone 4 and 5 USDA. I'm Z5 Can and I have no problem growing Goldflame honeysuckle vine. Its starting to bloom now. I also have Coral and Dropmore Scarlet.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 7:45AM
terrene(5b MA)

Lonicera japonica is the highly invasive vine and is on the Mass Prohibited plant list. It is no doubt the one that's smothering the conservation land. Lonicera sempervirens (aka Coral honeysuckle) is native and much better behaved.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 11:16AM
melfield_wy(5b Wyoming)

So between Goldflame, Coral and Dropmore Scarlet: which is the most fragrant??

Thanks again for all the help!

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 1:17PM
steve1young(7A)

I never noticed fragrance from Dropmore Scarlet and I only notice fragrance from Goldflame at night, but it's still very slight. Other people in other climates/zones/garden conditions may have different experiences, though.

Best of luck!

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 5:52PM
MaeT(z5 NL, Canada)

I've never noticed any fragance from either of them.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 6:02PM
gardengal48

Woodbine or European honeysuckle, Lonicera periclymenum, is sold quite widely over here - I doubt you would have difficulty finding a number of mail order sources if local outlets are scarce. It is my favorite of the vining honeysuckles, offering a long season of bloom, often intensely colored or bicolored flowers and a great fragrance.

To my knowledge, this is an extremely well-behaved honeysuckle - I have never heard of any invasive issues (although none exist with any honeysuckle in my area).

None of the native American vining honeysuckles have a fragrance, unfortunately, and those hybrids that have the US natives as part of their parentage also seem to have minimal fragrance as well. That includes Pink Lemonade, Goldflame or any of the other x brownii or x heckrottii cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery is an excellent mail order sorce for a wide range of vines

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 6:23PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

The native Lonicera sempervirens has one selection called Major Wheeler. Quite lovely, prolific flowers. No scent though. I think the only ones that have scent are also the ones that are highly invasive in the NE and Midwest (and probably elsewhere, though I haven't any experience living in other parts of the country.)

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 8:10PM
ThomasSt

Question: I need a honeysuckle to cover a 7x12 pergola - to provide shade in south facing position and add scent and interest. I'm thinking Lonicera periclymenum 'serotina'.
Is one enough? Too much?
Has anyone grown honeysuckle with clematis for late season interest?
Many thanks.
I'm new to Garden web and am thrilled to find you.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 7:29PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

ThomasSt - It usually works best to start your own thread rather than adding onto an old thread. Go down to the bottom of the main forum page and ask your question. You can check off so that responses go to your email.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 8:25PM
squirejohn zone4 VT

Dropmore scarlet honeysuckle hardy here in zone 4

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 5:55AM
mori1(5b/6a)

Wow, I've been growing honeysuckle for over ten years with no problem. I always thought that I had the Japanese kind but after reading this thread and looking at pictures. It seems I might have Pink Lemonade also known as Goldflame or lonicera periclymenum munster. Its beautiful, highly and I mean highly fragrant. The bees love it and so does the hummingbird moth.

This post was edited by mori1 on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 4:28

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 4:14AM
kressnut

I planted lonicera periclymenum, also know as sweet tea honeysuckle in may of this year. So far it has only grown about 6 to 9 inches. I planted it in a an area that gets sunlight in the later afternoon, but not real hot sun. Shouldn't it grow faster than that. I did give it a light application of 15 30 15 fertilizer 2 or 3 weeks ago which helped a little but not much. any ideas out there?
Thanks

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 2:41PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

I hope you guys can help me. I planted goldflame but I am disappointment about the powdery mildew. It's all over. The fragrance of the flower is heavenly but I have to put my nose close to it to smell it.

I'm thinking of ripping it out and replace it with Serotina. I'm seeing so many different information about it. Some says it can grow 15 ft. Some say it's a compact honeysuckle. I would like to plant it by my 10ft tall pergola. I was planning to have a honeysuckle where the body would be naked and the top would all have the leaves(acts as a shade). What are your thoughts about Serotina? The reason I chose Serotina is because I've read from different sites that it has the strongest heavenly scent and grows tall too.

However, someone also recommended to me arctic beauty kiwi.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 10:12PM
marquest(z5 PA)

Have you considered two vines one for color that would be the Kiwi and one for fragrance a clematis. I love the fragrance of Clematis triternata Rubromarginata and it blooms from June to Aug. and the fragrance is strong. Can be smelled from a distance,

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 8:57PM
mori1(5b/6a)

kressnut,

Give it a little more time. When I planted mine many years ago, it took awhile for it to take off. Though I never fertilize mine and in my area we have had strange weather patterns slowing down growth. My plants are a month behind, I mean its August and I have a lily about to bloom.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 4:48AM
kelp

I've have Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina", and it is unbelievably fragrant from about 6 at night until 8 or 9 in the morning. I've also have L. sempervirens 'Cedar Lane', which is beautiful, and attracts hummingbirds, but doesn't have a fragrance. Both have been free of pests/disease.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Mail Order Question
I would like to order some perennials on line as we...
huckdog1
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™