Something is wrong Ivory Silk Tree Lilac

mori1(5b/6a)April 30, 2009

Smething is wrong with the leaves on my tree. I got this tree several years ago and really enjoy its late blooms in the summer. But yesterday, I noticed that the leaves look like they have bumps and the leaves are curled. I don't know what's wrong with it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Are the bumps small scaly brown bumps? If so, you probably have a scale infestation. Horticultural oil or certain insecticides are used to treat this.

If that doesn't appear to be the problem, posting a picture might get you a more accurate diagnosis.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 1:09PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Possibly lilac blight.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 1:16PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Lilac leaf miner. Search "lilac problems" or similar phrases. Or try Kansas Cooperative Extension Service for diagnostic assistance.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 1:17PM
mori1(5b/6a)

I didn't know that lilac even got blight. I had to treat spring snow crabapple tree last year for something similar. Our extension office send out quarterly newsletters which has a nice section on trees but mine is not commonly grown in this area. I will check out some of yours suggestions.

Thanks

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 1:33PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Lilac blight also affects magnolias. Search Pseudomonas syringae. The species name is after Syringa, the genus of lilacs.

So, yes, lilacs get a blight.

One oversized garden center/growing operation I worked at here was watering the potted lilac sales area with overhead sprinklers when it stared to warm up in spring. The common lilac cultivars seemed to hold up under this OK but the new growth on the tree lilacs came out and then blighted off badly. I am sure it was the overhead dousing.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 1:40PM
mori1(5b/6a)

bboy,

I think your right, I got some leaves. Its the new growth that seems to be affected the worse. The established leaves don't seems so bad but I can't treat it. Right now we are in our "rainy season" here. Rain has been forecast for every other day in the next two weeks. So what do I do?

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 2:01PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Lilac blight doesn't cause bumps on the leaves. It can cause malformed leaves and usually causes black/brown areas on the leaves. Again, a picture or more details are necessary to diagnose a problem like this.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 3:11PM
mori1(5b/6a)

Brandon7, your right, that's why I went outside and collected some leaves. I examined and compared the leaves to pictures I saw online. I'm almost 90% sure its blight and due to rain being in the forecast for the next several weeks, treating it will be a problem. So I have emailed the Johnson county extension office for advice.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 3:22PM
mori1(5b/6a)

Brandon7 and bboy just came back from the extension office while it does look like blight, its not. Turns out due the early warm up in late February the leaves on the tree came out early. We then had two late freezes in late March and about the second week in April. It didn't seem to affect any thing except the early blooming flowers and it seems the leaves on this tree. So I guess its freeze burn not sure if that's the right word. Hopefully in a few weeks there will be some leaves but it might not bloom.

One thing I did find interesting is out of the three people in the office only one even knew about lilac trees. They're just not common in our area.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Trimming a ficus tree
I saw an ad online of someone locally selling their...
L A
Adding soil to yard
I have a fairly thin layer of topsoil. I'm going to...
lucillle
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Sick Cherry tree
One of our cherry trees has these weird bumps/exposed...
mariberi
Newly planted Leyland Cypress browning on top
I live in South Carolina- clay soil, and just planted...
justjewels19
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™