Okay to trim back sedums now to keep shorter

summerstar(Z7VA)June 1, 2008

I'm wondering about trimming down sedums now to get shorter stalks on three two-year old Black Jacks. They grew pretty tall and think they'd look better shorter.

I remember reading on this site that you can trim sedum back, probably in half, and still get blooms in the fall. If I'm remembering right, the person posting said you could trim them back till June and still have flowers.

Can you verify if this is right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

I just checked the Brooklyn Botannical Garden site...
Once the new growth of sedum is up, to prevent later flopping give them a cutback once or twice in May or June. New foliage will regenerate in a few weeks. Shouldn't be much, if any, delay in blooming - VA has a long growing season.

You can also propagate the sedums from your cuttings, too. With a 6" cutting off the top of a sedum, strip off the lower leaves, and cut the remaining leaves in half and plop in the ground. Must be even easier than that to propagate since I've gotten a couple of volunteers from just unnoticed broken leaves sitting on the soil.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 4:53PM
summerstar(Z7VA)

Thanks very much for your quick reply. I'll check out the Brooklyn Botanical site myself. I'm supposing they will bloom okay after the trimming otherwise they wouldn't suggest it. Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 5:39PM
gazania_gw

I am in PA zone 5 and cut back all my sedums by half a week ago. I do it by the end of May every year. Bloom time doesn't seem to be affected by more than a week or so if at all. Keeps them shorter with no flopping. You will have 2 new branches come out of each cut end resulting in slightly smaller flower heads but twice as many as you would have had if you did not cut them.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 7:06PM
summerstar(Z7VA)

Thanks to you both. I'll trim them back this week and maybe try propagating them too as suggested. They're about 10-12" high right now.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Growing Yucca in container?
I seem to remember a member mentioning they were experimenting...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™