Eggplant

retiredprof(7)March 23, 2009

Bakemom and Justsaymo: you are on it with this eggplant stuff!

I prepare like Bakemom: salt lightly, let it sweat, then blot dry with paper towels. Then egg wash and into a mix of Italian breadcrumbs, garlic powder and grated parm. Fry the slices until nice and brown and drain on paper towels.

I can eat it just like that or...

Layer it in a casserole, and add some marinara or meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Top it off with a little grated parm and into a 350 oven for about an hour. Then let it rest. Nothing like Eggplant Parm!

Try it grilled like Justsaymo: brush with olive oil, and a little pepper. Makes a great appy on sliced Italian bread sprinkled with some parm.

Here's another idea: Cut it in half lengthwise and scoop some of the flesh out of the middle. Saute the flesh with some sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and onions and a little ground beef.

"Stuff" the halves with the mixture and bake at 350 about 45 minutes on a cookie sheet or shallow casserole.

Another idea: skin and chop a small eggpplant into large dice. Do the same with fresh mushrooms (any type) and some good ripe olives. Make a marinade of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, add some minced garlic, salt, pepper and fresh chopped parsley. Mix all together and refrigerate for a 24 hours. Let come to room temp before serving on grilled Italian bread slices.

Just some ideas.

Prof

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seedmama(7)

Thanks! I'll be referring back to this when my Fairytale comes true!

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 3:19PM
nancy_drew(5 nw chgo burbs)

Yummy! Thank you! Now I can shut the kid up when he starts his whining for eggplant! How he got the fixation on eggplant, I have no clue!! Eggplant Parm really does sound delicious!

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 3:54PM
karendee(5WestOFChicago)

Yummy! I will have to do this with zucchini. I am not a big fan of eggplant.

Karen

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 4:21PM
ajpa(z6 se PA)

We make omelets with it, specially the thin long Asian kinds, which are cool because you can leave the stalk on.

Cook the eggplant first (grilled is best, but nuked will do), peel it, then mash it flat with a fork. Fry it with beaten egg. Optional - add cooked ground beef.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
When to sow annuals?
Do you think it is a valid rule of thumb to use the...
smdmt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™