Yeah! Over-wintered Geranium

vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)March 15, 2008

I brought one in and treated it like my househplants, only watering a little less. I just finished watering plants and noticed a few small flower buds starting to form!! YIPPIE!

I was going to take cuttings from it here in about 3 weeks, but think I'll wait :D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drippy(7bAL)

I do it that way, too, Vera, although some people cut them back and hang them in paper bags, then pot them up again in late winter - there's more than one way to do it, I guess. I have a "Martha Washington" type and a regular one wintering over now. They're getting a bit leggy, so I was considering doing some cuttings.

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 8:21PM
northforker

I watched a video (here?) on boxing them up in the basement and you all are reminding me I'd better go down and check if there is any sign of life!

I am somehow doubtful but, hey, I would have lost em anyway (only had windowsill room for a couple)

I'll let you know if this boxing up thing works!

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 10:59PM
dorisl(5)

me too! Ive got two nice big ones is really good shape and a smaller one that looks a little.... tired?

I tried cuttings during the winter and NOTHING happened. It only really works in the spring?

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 10:17PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

dorisl,

Late summer to early fall and again in spring is when herbaceous plants root fastest.
Winter isn't a good time because most plants take a rest and the hormone auxin that tells the plant to put out new growth is not that active.

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 3:25PM
dorisl(5)

Thanks, Vera, Ill try again!

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 9:00PM
northforker

Report from the "overwinter in a box" front: - - - NG.

I have about 5 that aren't totally dried up and gone (out of about 15 in the box), so I am putting them in some soil but I am NOT hopeful. oh well...win some lose some. I'tll be a miracle if these bounce back.

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 11:00PM
plant-one-on-me(MI 5b)

I have been overwintering a geranium like you did for over 8 years now...a snipping I took from my grandmother's house when she passed away. I have 5 flowers starting to bloom. It always reminds me of her especially when it starts to bloom. After the blooms die off, I make several cuttings that I root for the following years garden.

I made a cutting a couple months ago on an area that just got too leggy...it took over a month to root but it will soon be ready to pot up. Enjoy! Kim

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 6:14PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Nice Kim!!

So far only just the one flowering stem...starting to show some color in the last few day. I've given a light feeding the last two times I watered.
I think if I have time today I will take a few cuttings anyways...I don't think I want to wait any longer if I want blooms on time in the garden. New leaves are being produced almost daily so rooting should be fairly quick now :D

Vera

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 3:38PM
northforker

None of my boxed geraminums "bounced back". Oh well. I have one that I overwintered in a coolish room and THAT one I'll take and root cuttings! Good thing I have 165 jugs of other stuff out there! so no point to whining!

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 1:47PM
plant-one-on-me(MI 5b)

Here is a picture of my granddaughter holding one of the blooms off my plant. I wanted to get more cuttings going for spring planting and had to take from the blooming stems. Jordan loves to "sniff sniff" flowers. Kim

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 3:08PM
shimla(5 Upstate, NY)

I pulled 6 out of my compost pile last year, tossed them in a plastic bucket and forgot about them. I remembered them after I saw this posting and drudged them up from the basement. I planted and watered the dead sticks a couple of weeks ago and the darned things have started to leaf :)! I can't wait to see when they start to bloom. I'm always lacking annuals early in the season. This just might be my solution!

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 8:48PM
dorisl(5)

Tried again and I GOT ROOTS! Yippee!

:)

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
Can I really, really wintersow tomatoes?
I wintersowed in my old garden for several years and...
nonconformist_nymphette
perennial WS
What is your favorite perennial to sow? I'm in zone...
sorie6
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™