Total Vegetable Insanity
OK, just after I told you all that I was normal, I took delivery of a few (right!) seed packs and plants today that convince me that this WSing and Gardening stuff has ruined a brilliant mind.
Please, somebody, tell me you have done this: ordered or purchased seeds or plants (not via exchange) that you 1) can't possibly grow, 2) really feel "iffy" about but want for your seed collection, or 3) heard other people raving about, so you bought them anyway. Then , too, there are always those great deals that cause you to buy more than you really need.
Are you ready for this confession? So far, I have the following (all just purchased):
- An entire unopened packet of "Early Sunglow" sweet corn. I have absolutely no room for corn or the right exposure.
- An unopened pack of "super" zucchini seeds . Ditto above. And "iffy." The fact that the zucs can grow 12" in a week has nothing to do with my hormone replacement therapy.
- More beet seeds. I eat beets once a year and in small doses. In the pic they look like Xmas tree ornaments.
- Cantaloupe. It's all I can do to find room for Minnesota Midget on a trellis, let alone a larger variety. Who can resist a happy family chowing down on a 'lope while they have a kumbaya moment?
- This is the best: How about 40 crowns of asparagus? What convinced me that I live on a 2-acre plot, when I'm trying to find room for a few shirley poppies? It was the BOGO deal, plus the allure of hacking off some spears while the neighbors watch in envy.
Maybe it's time for an intervention or a 12-step Gardener's Anonymous program.