Easy Elegance

Jim1940May 15, 2012

I'm supposed to be in zone 5 but most of my "Knock-out"s are being winter killed (those the beaver didn't get). I think the "Easy Elegance" hybrids might be the ticket being hardy to zone 4. Also I've been unable to locate any source for the "Easy Elegance" line locally (north of Watertown, NY - right on the Canadian border). Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Skip those and go straight to Explorers. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Given your climate, you are going to need something cane hardy, or it will never produce. I have no reason to believe Easy Elegance roses are cane hardy here, let alone north of here.

If you can't find them locally, you can mail order from Pickering in the spring. Around here, the selection of roses that can actually do well here is minimal, and I have no reason to believe it would be better on the other side of the state.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 5:24PM
daveinohio_2007(5)

On the rose hybridizers forum, the ee variety High Voltage is reported to grow well in Twin Cities z4 (david ziesak) and in northern minnesota z3 (joe bergeson). Of course, what grows in minn may not survive in ny.
rosefire.com has several ee vars in stock; they sell 1gal own root plants for $13; shipping to ny may be pricey. Kashmir has been a very impressive var in our garden for past two yrs.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 6:37PM
wirosarian_z4b_WI

In my z4 area EE & Dr. Buck roses do much better than the KO roses. Below is a link to another GW discussion on the EE roses

Here is a link that might be useful: EE roses

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:15PM
daveinohio_2007(5)

Freckle Face looked really good at chadwick arboretum, columbus ohio. Only source for this var is Pim Ling in oregon, and shipping from there costs a fortune.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:41PM
predfern(z5 Chicago)

Does Kashmir have any fragrance? Some Easy Elegance roses have Buck parents. Freckle Face is a Buck rose. Roses Unlimited has lots of Buck roses including Freckle Face. Some of the hardier Austins survive in zone 4. Repeating OGRs like Jacques Cartier and Rose de Rescht are also hardy. Then there are the rugosa hybrids.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 12:27AM
mnkitty

I'm in zone 4a in MN, and I've had EE "My Girl" for 3 years. It has been completely hardy with zero winter protection.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 8:52AM
daveinohio_2007(5)

Funny face is ee var referred to above; freckle face is buck, as predfern pointed out. My mistake.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
Fortuniana grafted roses
If you can grow rose's that are grafted onto fortuniana...
Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
Do growing conditions affect fragrance *types* in your experience
... I mean like making a clove-smelling rose smell...
laura242424
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™