I deserve the award

klem1June 16, 2014

Well that is unless somone makes a better case than this. Mid-summer of 07 or 08 I spoted colorful plants in beds of a vacant office building while on my routine monthly vist. Annuals had long ago died and perrinial shrubs were wilting and bearly surviving the hot dry Tx weather. I had recently completed a bed at my home that was in need of a low maintanance plant. I finnaly pryed eight or ten plants from the hard cracked soil and transplanted to my new bed. When I constructed the bed I did so with the knowledge it would recive minium care. Dug 8" of compost and 2" of castings into top 12" of soil. From that summer to 2013 I lost 1 or 2 plants each year and propagated an equal number in pots to replace them. 2013 I said enough is enough and gave the bed almost as much attention but didn't replace strugling or dying plants. This spring one plant emerged and has reach about 3" tall. So what's the award I believe I deserve? The failure against all odds trophy unless youall have ever topped my failed attempt at growing,,,,,,,purple heart wandering jew. No I havn't nor do i plan a soil sample. IMO,any fool that can't stick that stuff in a freeway median and have it prosper shouldn't waste money trying to grow any thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poaky1

I have grown a few "late drop" live oak trees, they live one winter, I touted them as zone 6 hardy Live oaks, and this past Harsh winter, mine died except for 2 coming up from the mulchline. They will grow up again, but in the next harsh winter they will croak again. I mentioned this tree over and over as zone 6 hardy. Good thing most folks waited for my updates, over the winter, waiting likely for a harsh winter. They didn't have to wait long. Sorry for your misfortune, Texas is dry and brutal from what I heard, at least the more Western portion.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 1:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toxcrusadr

Last fall I rescued 20 large potted Belgian Mums from a hardware store dumpster. They were in bloom but not standing up like regular mums, they were more of a creeping groundcover almost. Anyway I gave them away left and right and planted a couple in my own beds. Nice for a few weeks till frost. This spring they did not come back - Belgian mums must not be winter hardy. And I told everyone they would produce 'hundreds of blossoms' after reading up on them. Oh well!

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
How can I get my soil to hold water longer?
I live in Augusta and I just bought a bunch of Bricko's...
ryank817
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary
Earth, The Operators Manual
This 3 part series may be of interest to some here. http://www.pbs.org/program/earth-the-operators-manual/ kimmq...
kimmq
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
Soil Test Report questions-please help.
Hello all you kind folks on this site. I have received...
allyn12
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™