Hydrangea "Bombshell"

boothbay(7)June 23, 2014

I got this perennial last summer and planted it in a half size wine barrel. It did not bloom for me last year, I thought because it was too late in summer. This year it has come up nicely and so far all I get is healthy green leaves, no bloom as it says in the little tag that it should bloom in Spring to Fall. BTW, it did not bloom in last years Fall, either. I suppose I have to fertilize in order for it to bloom...any recommendations ? I have 15-15-15 Miracle grow. We have been getting our share of summer showers lately, and yet I noticed yesterday the top sort of stressed...so I watered it again and it popped up again nicely. I thought perennials were self sustained? BTW the tag does not say how often to fertilize, and it does get at least 6 hours of south sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

'Bombshell' is known to have issues with blooming. It's apparently recommended not to prune them at all, but I'm not sure if that's the only issue.

If you go over to the hydrangea forum and search for "bombshell," you'll get more information.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
How about 'SUPERthrive'?
Anybody use this stuff? I bought it but not sure if...
casi
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™