Not Everyone Is Happy With A New Sprout...

nancy_drew(5 nw chgo burbs)April 15, 2009

'Fir tree' sprouts in man's lung

Surgeons in Russia were astounded to find what they say is a 5cm fir tree growing inside a man's lung.

Artyom Sidorkin, 28, visited doctors in the central city of Izhevsk complaining of intense chest pain and said he had been coughing up blood.

After consulting X-rays, doctors were "100 percent sure" Mr Sidorkin had a tumour and decided on surgery to remove the cancer.

But when they opened him up, surgeons instead found a small fir tree growing inside his lung.

"I thought I was hallucinating," said surgeon Vladimir Kamashev.

"I asked my assistant to have a look: 'Come and see this  we've got a fir tree here'. He nodded in shock. I blinked three times as I was sure I was seeing things."

Dr Kamashev said he believed Mr Sidorkin must have inhaled a fir seed, which sprouted inside his lung and began growing into a tree.

The pain he felt was caused by the plant rubbing against his capillaries, Mr Kamashev said.

"It was very painful  but to be honest I did not feel any foreign object inside me," Mr Sidorkin said.

"I'm so relieved it's not cancer."

The discovery has not been independently verified.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Fir tree' sprouts in man's lung

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seedmama(7)

Well. I'm speechless. Wow!

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 11:11AM
drippy(7bAL)

Hmm, think of all the times when you were a kid that you were told not to swallow apple or watermelon seeds because they would grow in your stomach...

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 8:02PM
token28001(zone7b NC)

Kids, that's why you're not supposed to put peas up your nose.

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 9:03PM
PVick(6b NYC)

Or swallow your gum. Geez Louise, I've been trying to germinate tree seeds for 8 years now - no luck. To think that all I needed to do was inhale the friggin' seed!

PV

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 10:54PM
clc70(8 Wa.)

That's more than a sprout. That's a years worth of growth on that seedling. Makes me wonder, I don't think it could live that long without light.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 2:48PM
dorisl(5)

I dont believe it.

I guess it could get oxygen, but like you said above, how was it able to turn green without light? I smell a rat!

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 8:43PM
nancy_drew(5 nw chgo burbs)

I do believe it. There's a whole lot of germination and even plant growth that takes place inside a very dark compost heap. Those worm bins are especially good at it. Why is a seed, germinated inside a wet paper towel, in the dark refrigerator, green? I also think that it's a bit hard to determine just how big the sprout/seedling was, from a close up picture.

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 11:22AM
drippy(7bAL)

True or not, it's a great story!

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 11:47PM
lblack61(z5 NY)

Makes me think I should hold my breath while emptying a packet of seeds into a container!

Linda

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 9:48AM
nancy_drew(5 nw chgo burbs)

Posted by dorisl:
"I dont believe it.
I guess it could get oxygen, but like you said above, how was it able to turn green without light? I smell a rat!"

You know Doris, you did ask a good question about light. I don't think our insides are ask dark as it seems. Have you ever held your hand over lit a flashlight? Our bodies are not really solid, our skin actually breathes. If our skin can absorb drugs through the use of a patch, absorb water, etc, then why not UV light rays?

This would make for an excellent episode of Myth Busters!

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 12:50PM
alwaysagarden(CA 9b)

I am skeptical as well. I can seed it may have had good sprouting conditions, but in order to "grow green" it does need light.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
I may have overdone things a bit...
So... I split out my 1 gallon pot of Di Ciccio broccoli...
pugetsoundgardener
First Time WS... Snapdragons, lunaria, cleome... Help?
So this is my first year WSing. I planted some perennial...
david883
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™