OT: Phone bill cramming

ajpa(z6 se PA)April 15, 2009

Just a vent (& warning). Hubby noticed the phone bill was higher than usual this month. There's some kind of 3rd party billing from a company we never heard of (ESBI) which claimed we signed up for mp3 downloads (big lie). Called the phone company & that scamming company to get it removed. Then I filed a complaint with the FTC. I googled ESBI and it seems they were already fined back in 2001 for doing this scam -- why are they still around?

Oh, and turns out the phone company can block our account from 3rd party billing so we asked them to do that -- but why don't they do that in the first place?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancy_drew(5 nw chgo burbs)

Holy Cow! Look at what I found out about this ESBI company! They've been doing it to a whole lot of people, for a long time! What the heck is up with that?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bogus ESBI charges on Embarq phone bill **SCAM**

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 10:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ajpa(z6 se PA)

You'd think they'd be shut down by now -- they must be using some kind of loophole?
I think they claim that they just let merchants bill you via your phone bill -- obviously at the very least they are letting any criminal bill anyone else for anything.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
seeds already started?
I've started several seeds in paper cups and put in...
sorie6
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™