Green Bunching Onions

retiredprof(7)April 21, 2009

Folks: Help me out here. This may be a "nomenclature" issue.

On another forum, a a member was bemoaning the fact that her Evergreen Bunching Onions were really hard to start from seed. I interpreted bunching onions to mean scallions, or green onions, as we call them here. I've found them slow to germinate as well.

I gently suggested she purchase a few bunches at the grocery store and cut the bottoms off to root and grow while she waits for the seeds to sprout. That's what I do anyway. The root parts start growing really fast and at least you have the tops to use while your sprouts grow.

The member's response was a surprise. Said she's not been able to find "bunching onions" in her grocery stores (in southern CT). Are we talking about the same thing or not? We don't call them bunching onions here.

Prof

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kiddo_1(NE OH 5)

Well, to me "White Bunching Onion" seeds that I buy (usually Burpee) are the same as the "Green Onions" that are sold (in bunches) at the supermarket. The are a type of onion that do not bulb up (a nice white swelling, but not a real bulb like a Walla Walla or some such thing). I start both types (bulbing and bunching) from seed.

Here's Wikipedia: "A scallion, also commonly known as spring onion, green onion, or salad onion." Here's a link with a pic.
Kris

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
The thrill of the sprout
Just checked my containers and have two types of lettuce...
caryltoo Z7/SE PA
how long for annuals to sprout?
I moved and cannot find my records from last year....
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #1:
This is the first thread in the official Winter Sowing...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™