Madagascar Jasmine Anyone?

soaprah(6-MA)April 6, 2006

Hi:

I saw these Madagascar Jasmine plants in a local store that were in bloom and the fragrance was intoxicating. They cost about $30.00--so I did not buy one because I am just not good with houseplants.

I did however order some seeds and was wondering if anyone has grown this plant from seed. I am sure the WS method for these would not work in my zone, but I figured, I could try to start one in my unheated three-season room.

Anyone ever grow these from seed?

Thanks for your help!

Soaprah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Yes, I did. Several years ago. At that time I didn't know anything about WS so I sowed it indoors. It grew. I sent the plant to my sister in Thailand to plant outsoors instead. It took a couple years to bloom, but boy is it a beauty.

Good luck with yours.:-)

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 7:21PM
PVick

I did too, indoors as well. I set it outside for it's first summer (2002), but it has been strictly a houseplant since then, sitting in a bright window.

For me, it started out very slow-growing - for about two years, it really didn't look like it was doing much other than staying alive. Then all of a sudden, I looked up one day and the thing has a shoot about 18" long! Since then, it has been growing very well, putting out vines all over. It has not bloomed, although it supposedly can bloom inside. It doesn't have optimal growing conditions (pot too small, not enough sun/light, etc.), but it's a healthy plant, and the foliage alone is quite pretty.

I'm thinking of repotting and putting it outside this summer, see if I can get some flowers on it. The fragrance is heady.

Oh, they were relatively easy from seed - they germinated in about a week (inside, on top of the fridge) - but the seedlings were very slow-growing. I think they should be okay in your 3-season room, but it might be a good idea to bag the whole container.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

PV

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 9:39PM
soaprah(6-MA)

Thanks to both of you for the reply. I actually planted the seeds in little clear solo plastic cups and I placed another cup on the top with a few slots for air and taped them together--so--I guess it's bagged in a way!

Thanks again. We shall see how i do with this!

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
Is it too late to sow these….
Just starting winter sowing this week. Would love...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Trying again after 10 years..
Hollyhocks, hibiscus, yarrow, delphinium, lychinis,...
CEFreeman_GW
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
Annuals
Can you wintersow, Tithonia and Salvia now? I have...
bellarosa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™