Columnar Aspen

joyceseitzApril 9, 2014

We have eight columnar aspens in our back yard. We are trying for a maintenance free yard, so removed all grass and poured a pad of stamped concrete below our wooden layered decks. We put down the black material(not sure of name) to stop weeds from coming thru, then placed wood/bark chips under the row of trees. In the fall and spring, the leaves are a nightmare to pick up in the wood chips under the trees. Any ideas as to something else we could put under the trees to look appealing as well as easy to collect the leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i suppose you clean your house also?? ... lol ..

any particular reason you need to pick up the leaves..

no one picks them up in the forest ...

why dont you remove that black useless counterproductive carp ... and go natural... leaving the leaves where they are.. to compost and make a natural environment .... and i would let them just cover the mulch .... and in fact.. in a few years.. you will never be throwing around any mulch.. as you will be making your own ....

take a day trip to the forest ... and see what it can be like ...

i learned this wisdom.. when i moved to 5 acres.. and realized i HAD TO go native... as it was impossible to be retentive.. like i used to be ...

if your goal it maintenance free .. then GO FOR IT ... and dont make jobs.. that defeat your goal ...

it would be a whole new look.. and approach.. and it would take a year or 3 to 'evolve' ... but you might be pleasantly surprised ..

ken

ps: most weed seed is airborne.. about two minutes after you put down the black stuff... seeds were on top of it ... its all marketing hocus pocus ....

Here is a link that might be useful: no one rakes here

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
Trimming a ficus tree
I saw an ad online of someone locally selling their...
L A
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™