Evergreen Top Soil

gottahosta(z7b_NE_GA)June 16, 2009

I purchased several bags of Evergreen brand top soil to make a potting mix. One cubic foot of material packed in a heavy sealed plastic bag.

When I open the bag, there is a strong noticeable smell of ............. not pine or creasote, exactly, but quite strong. It gradually dispurses, especially after I add my other potting soil ingredients to the mix. It is a very dark natural brown color and has the texture of soil conditioner (pine fines or very small bark).

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Similiar experience?

I do add a natural fertilizer and minerals to the mix.

I appreciate any help and hope I've come to the right forum to ask this question.

Brenda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

For potting mixes you want a soilless mix, not "topsoil" which can make drainage of your container a problem.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 7:58AM
gottahosta(z7b_NE_GA)

Thanks for your help.
The Evergreen top soil is not the texture of soil, does not look like soil- it is the texture of soil conditioner. Like small chunks of composted bark. Very well-draining.

My concern is the smell. ........ if it has some additive or if it in in fact not well composted, as the color and texture indicate. ?????????

Does anyone have a similiar experience with this kind of product?

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 10:29AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I use bark fines for my potting mixes, but have not noticed any aroma other than what one would expect from pine bark. I am not familiar with the product you've mentioned.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 11:09AM
gottahosta(z7b_NE_GA)

Thanks, Rhizo, maybe I'm just being a little too picky about the scent. Other than that, it is a great buy for just what I need!

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
bread in compost
New to composting and confused now. What is wrong with...
jamb
Weeds and pollinators
Spring is just around the corner, uh huh yes it is,...
kimmq
Frozen compost
Ok so the deep freeze here in nj is not letting up...
jrupjr
Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?
Are these okay to add to the bin? Won't the mold spread...
greengardener07
Berm and Top Soil/Tilling?
I plan on creating a low berm - about 6 inches tall...
Bob Sislow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™