Happy Mother's Day!

retiredprof(7)May 10, 2009

Sincere best wishes to all of you moms out there! Hope you're having a great day, enjoying family and taking at least a small break from gardening chores.

Well, I decided to celebrate, too. Woke up at 5:00 am, made coffee, read the news, and fed Dee who promptly barfed up her entire breakfast. Cleaned that up. Then fed Flint, my African Grey parrot, who was screaming "Breakfast, now!" He also promptly regurgitated on me (it's a sign of affection).

I decided right then I was a mommy as well as a daddy to the animal children and I was going to celebrate being a "single parent" who lives both roles.

Took me out to breakfast at the old folks diner, then hit my favorite nursery to buy me a treat or two.

Came home with a one-gallon pot of dianthus "Coconut Surprise" that must have a hundred buds on it. Then went in to the veggie greenhouse. Just had to (had to) buy a Black Krim and Cherokee Purple transplant. Then wait... they had Hansel and Gretel eggplants!!!

I thought I would keel over. Picked up one of each.

So, now I'm making myself a grand dinner, having some vino and celebrating along with you all you real moms.

Ooooh, I can't wait till Father's Day! ;-)

Prof

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PVick

Just now seeing your post, Prof. Seems like you had quite a day! I've seen pics of that 'Coconut Surprise' dianthus - it's a pretty one. Have you grown the 'Black Krim' or 'Cherokee Purple' toms before? I've had the 'Black Krim' - very tasty. and you got your 'Hansel and Gretel' eggplants after all! Good show!

I visited my mom yesterday - took her some roses. (She passed on a little over 4 years ago.) Came back home, packed up and delivered 5 containers of sprouts to a friend, then was in for the rest of the day. Not particularly productive - but a nice day all around.

When is Father's Day this year?

PV

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 12:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
retiredprof(7)

PV: No, I haven't grown either the Krim or the Cherokee before, but have heard so many good things about them, thought I'd try one of each.

As for Hansel and Gretel, they're both new, so didn't expect to find either one this year. What a surprise!

Father's Day is Sunday, June 21, the Solstice! How cool is that?

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee
First Time WS... Snapdragons, lunaria, cleome... Help?
So this is my first year WSing. I planted some perennial...
david883
Green gunk on my soil: can I salvage?
Here's the facts: Newbie WSer Bought the Miracle Grow...
emcd124
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™