Niceness is not dead

ajpa(z6 se PA)June 5, 2009

Just wanted to share. My 12yo's glass lens popped out -- a screw had gotten loose. And one nose pad was missing. (Kids!)

We'd gotten the glasses at some big chain a couple of years ago. I didn't have the receipt anymore, didn't know if it was still on warranty, etc ...

I walked into a locally owned optical shop I'd never been into before near her school and asked if they could fix it. The girl said sure! with a big smile, took it, and 10 minutes later handed it back to me good as new. I asked how much I owed them and she said -- oh, no, that's fine. She made me feel like she was truly happy to have helped me.

I am so impressed and heartened.

The next time someone in the family needs glasses I will be back.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lois(PA Zone 6)

Thanks for sharing, ajpa.. I wish more people realized how beneficial niceness is... Even if it does not always bring you more business (although it often does), it usually make you happier.

Lois in PA

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 8:11PM
not_a_contessa(z5b S Central PA mtns.)

We have had the same experience as yours at the local optical store, Ajpa, and in general there is a very high level of niceness to be found in both businesses and residents of this area of South Central Pennsylvania. Friendliness can be found coming from people of all ages, and it certainly adds greatly to the quality of life I am able to enjoy since I moved here.

Mary

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 11:42AM
dorisl(5)

Id say that most eyeglass places will perform this service for you, hoping that you'll come back.

:) We have nice ones here too!

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 6:26PM
lblack61(z5 NY)

Wow...how cool is that!

Linda

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 1:34PM
lois(PA Zone 6)

... And sometimes I think gardeners are some of the nicest folks around! A nurse who lives down the street has a garden to die for. It's her therapy, so she is out there almost every day before or after her shift. I love to walk by and admire the variety of flowers and shrubs. Lately, I've been admiring a new kind of chrysanthemum that she has. It looks like a darker pink "Clara Curtis", which is tough as nails around here. I have not been able to find what kind it is. So, I told her how much I admired it, and she promptly ripped a couple handfuls up by the roots and handed them to me. That lovely gift just made my day. (I'll have to bake her some shortbread cookies as a thank you.)

Niceness is by no means dead when it comes to gardeners!

Lois in PA

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
The thrill of the sprout
Just checked my containers and have two types of lettuce...
caryltoo Z7/SE PA
Green mildew on soil of WS containers?
Last year, I WSd in styrofoam cups that were placed...
gardengrlz
A different category for winter sowing!
You may not think of cacti as needing winter sowing,...
madabouteu
List of Seed Companies Owned by Monsanto
If you want to avoid using GMO seeds, here is a list...
bbmiche
Sponsored Products
Surya Small Half-Circle Teak Shower Seat
Signature Hardware
Kelley 74" modern sofa
Interior Define
Alessi Kettle with Bird Whistle
LBC Lighting
Eglo Outdoor Lighting. Riga Wall-Mount Outdoor Stainless-Steel Cylinder Light Fi
$34.97 | Home Depot
Pelham Pendant by Hudson Valley Lighting
$696.00 | Lumens
Light Rail Molding
CliqStudios Cabinets
Eames Mid Back Mesh Chair
IFN Modern
Give Peace a Chance Wall Hanging
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™