Eureka-this is a relief...

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)April 25, 2014

Last fall, I noted (and others on GW also) that a lot of local oaks, mostly in the red group, but primarily Pin (Q. palustris) and Northern Red (Q. rubra) were looking "bighted" with blotchy brown spots that eventually turned whole leaves brown and they fell. Oddly, Scarlet Oak, Q. coccinea, seemed relatively unaffected despite being closely related to the 2 other species.

I was initially concerned about a big Bacterial Leaf Scorch outbreak. However, I think it might have been Taphrina caerulescens, or Oak Leaf Blister. A relatively minor disease that is worst after a wet, cool spring (which we had last year, this year as well it appears).

Does this make sense and match what others have seen?

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Leaf Blister

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poaky1

One of my Quercus Robur had webworms, and round brown disks on it's upper surface of leaves last early fall, or late summer. I will have to get Bt for the wormies. The brown disks may be from humidity, I'm guessing. I haven't seen anything on my red oaks though. I have Pin, Shumard, Scarlet, Nuttals, Durand and Willow oak. My Willow looks possibly dead from last winter

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 7:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Yeah - Willow Oak (Q. phellos) is rated zone 6, but could probably perish in a very harsh zone 6 winter.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™