Picture taking questions

proudgm_03(6 MO)August 24, 2008

I have read my camera book and can't make heads or tails of it so I thought maybe some of you could help me. I want to take close ups of some of my flowers but they always turn out blurry. I have a Canon PowerShot SX100IS. What should I have the settings on?

I also tried to take pictures of my moonvine in the late evening using the night setting and all the pictures turned out black. Any suggestions?

There is a child/pet setting that is supposed to take pictures of moving objects but they all turn out blurry. Any suggestions?

Thanks! I'm open to any suggestions. Plus my hands tend to shake when I'm taking pictures. Can that be fixed with the settings?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pyrgal(z6mo)

I had a PowerShotS2is. On my camera there was a little button on the side of the camera for close up and if you wanted really close you would press it again until an S appeared in the little flower.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 3:50PM
stage_rat(5--Indiana Riviera)

Proudgm, I'm working on it for you! I'm reading the manual online.

First question: for your flower photos, have you put the camera on the "macro" setting? Next to the screen is the round button with buttons top and bottom, left and right. Macro is the one on the left, it looks like a flower. With your camera, you press that button, then have to use the left or right arrow to select that function again, in the on-screen menu. Once you have it set on macro, the camera should focus on what's really close to it. Each camera has a minimum distance you have to be from the camera, with my camera I have to be at least 18 inches away (that's bad!).

So, set it on Macro, then play around with how close or far you are, and how much you have zoomed in. There's an important note in the manual:

On page 66, it basically says that if you are zoomed in a way the camera doesn't like, it will take the picture, but it won't be a macro picture. Check out that page in the manual so you understand the "yellow bar" they mention. It seems like when it's set on macro and you are zooming in, the zoom bar at the top of the screen will turn yellow at a certain point, warning you that it's not going to focus right anymore.

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 2:18PM
dorisl(5)

I dunno if this applies to your camera, but it has to several of mine.

Mine has a little frame in the center of the view that shows what the focus point it, you can press the picture taking (photographer lingo there, hee!) button halfway down and give the camera a chance to focus, then it beeps to say ok, I got it and you can press it all the way down to take the picture.

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 3:35PM
proudgm_03(6 MO)

Stage_rat I have tried using the macro button and have paid attention to the yellow bar. But they don't seem to be as close as I want to get.

dorisl I have tried that also. Still not able to get close as I want.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 6:58AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Proudgm - I have a Sony Cybershot with similar features (I think). I get the best up-close shots by switching it to macro, NOT zooming in, and holding the camera about three to four inches away fromm the subject. I push the button down half-way to set the focus and then click again to take the picture. I watch the screen to see if it looks in focus there before I take the picture.
Here's a monarch that held still for macro. Click to enlarge

If I'm taking a photo from a few feet away, I use the zoom but not the macro.

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Stopping by to say Hello
Hello to all the Winter Sowers I just dropped by to...
richdelmo
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Containers for winter sowing.
I have some clear plastic shoe boxes but they have...
hibiscusfan zone5-Northwest Ohio
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™