What would you do about this?

lovelycherry(Z7 Long Island)August 22, 2007

I love sunflowers but if it attracts Rats.. what do I do? I set a trap out side but I wish they would go away.

These pics were taking through my front window at about 1pm in broad daylight. Bold little thing!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
proudgm_03(6 MO)

I would use it as 22 practice.

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 9:16PM
lovelycherry(Z7 Long Island)

Wish I could use the 22 but he is in my front yard and if I miss I might hit my neighbors house.
We put a trap under a box (with an access hole) baited with peanut butter. Hoping he comes back today and goes for the peanut butter.
Cherry

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 7:30AM
northforker

Is getting a cat an option? Best rodent control around (why they have them in barns)We stayed at a friends house this summer who had adopted on from the pound, then found out he could not be housebroken (had all kind of disablities). He lives outside, has a cathouse (built just like a doghouse) on the front porch. In cold weather, they put a heating pad on low in there.

From my experience living on farms, gray tiger striped ones are the best hunters.

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 7:58PM
seedmama(7)

Contact G. Gordon Liddy. He'll come for lunch. I once heard him speak. He ate rats to teach himself not to be afraid of them. Weirdo.

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 9:55PM
lovelycherry(Z7 Long Island)

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a rat and a mouse? Oh yes I know rats are bigger. We caught a mouse in a trap.. could the picture actually be a mouse?
Cherry

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 8:42PM
ghoghunter

The only two things I know to do for rats would be to get the small havahart trap and you can trap them. The other remedy is rat poison which I know a lot of people don't like to put out but they do sell it at Home Depot.

If you don't like those two options then go get the children's classic "The Rats Of NIMH" and after you read it you will really like rats!!! It's really cute little book and I think they made it into an animated movie too!

Joann

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 6:52AM
katbird

That is wild!! never seen one like that before, guess I am clueless on what they eat.. lol. I would suggest a cat .. if is an option..
you can adopt one from PAWS.. just seems more humane? than rat poisen as you don't know what else might be harmed by it.., did the peanut butter work?
Kathy

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
easiest annuals to winter sow
so i have all my perennials out, and i'm beginning...
gardendaydreamer
I may have overdone things a bit...
So... I split out my 1 gallon pot of Di Ciccio broccoli...
pugetsoundgardener
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™