Roses from J&P failed to grow

shelby_njMay 3, 2012

Last year I bought 4 roses from Jackson & Perkins:

Rose scent from above

Rose Shazam

Rose red sky delight

Rose Laura Bush

All of them failed to grow back this year. I did not even get a replacement. Is there any rose sale going on that you all may know of?

I need some orange and yellow roses.

Also if you have multiple garden beds how do you water them? I normally use a hose and walk around. I takes me one hour. I do have underground sprinklers. But they are good only for the lawn. I would like to get your ideas. Any new device out there that you connect to the main water valve?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Sorry to hear about your losses. I just got an email today from Heirloom Roses. They have a sale going on for their English Legend roses. But a lot of places have sales on right now because it's getting late in the season and they want to move them out.

As for the watering, I use soaker hoses but many people use drip irrigation with good results. There are many different systems. There may be one that will hook into your existing sprinkler system too.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 6:55PM
MaryDanielle(5)

I'm just beginning, but when I was looking for an Ebb Tide Rose, I ran into Jung Nurseries... I don't know anything about them and can't tell you much about their stock but they have a sale going on and a bunch of the roses are $10... Plus they're still shipping.

Keep in mind I haven't received my order yet, and I've heard good and bad about them, but the ones I ordered are 2 year plants, which beats the plugs some places are selling. Good luck and let me know how it goes or you find any other really good sales going on (and they're still shipping). :)

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 8:06PM
shelby_nj

Thank you Seil and Mary.Let me look them up in the internet.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 6:49AM
catsrose(VA 6)

Do not buy roses from Jung. See my post today on buying roses.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 8:21AM
barbarag_happy

Yeah, I'm with catsrose. Do not bother with roses from Jung at any price. They wouldn't be worth it if they were FREE.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:09PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

Edmunds, who I believe is owned by Jung Seed is having a good sale. I've never bought from Jung, so I don't have an opinion, but Edmunds Roses have always done well for me...

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:18PM
Olympiad(4b)

You may want to look elsewhere than Edmonds, they have quality control and shipping problems. One of the roses I received from them this spring was not worth shipping, the rose is Dick Clark, with a double crack to the base of the largest stem, black and nasty looking. Plus the order from Edmonds came with many of the roots out of the moisture wrap. Very disappointing. I wrote Edmonds within a day of the arrival and was told they are my roses, and send us a picture. Save your self the trouble.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:43PM
seil zone 6b MI

I was at my rose society meeting tonight and several people there were talking about the fact that the roses they got from J&P last year failed. So you're not alone. I think they were just selling off what ever junk they had left over.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Photo-Cl. Butterscotch
This is a test to see if I can post on Houzz. A favorite...
James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
vigorosa roses
As I continue my research on roses that will work in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™