2006, the summer that came and went....

albertar(z7 LINY)September 18, 2006

This year has really been rough, although doing my normal assortment of winter sowing, much had to be rushed into the ground early spring, because the first week of May started massive confusion in my life. My dad, aged 86 took sick and eventually had to be placed in a nursing home. My mom aged 82 was hospitalized 6 times in a matter of just a few months, in fact she is back in the hospital now due to high blood pressure.

I normally spend hours at a time in my gardens, this year everything just got basically thrown in the soil, with a silent prayer to grow and grow well, as time was really not available to do as I used to do. Everything grew and produced well. The only set backs were the tomatoes, with all the rain we had, many rotted on the vines. Peppers produced like crazy, which really surprised me since I have found peppers usually dislike too much water. What I've learned from this is although its relaxing for me to spend hour after hour in my gardens, I don't have to do it to still achieve good production.

Alberta

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PVick(6b NYC)

Gosh, Alberta, so very sorry to hear about your parents. Hope that all goes well for them.

Good to hear that your garden thrived despite it all.

It's been a weird year for me too; actually the past two years have been very troubling. I suppose that this too shall pass.

You and your parents will be in my prayers .......

PV

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 11:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lblack61(z5 NY)

Will be praying for you too, Alberta...
I have had a similar summer, although mine was not filled with the depth of change as yours was. It is nice that your garden blessed you still, through it all. Maybe sometimes the gardens need a rest from us too?
Linda

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Can I really, really wintersow tomatoes?
I wintersowed in my old garden for several years and...
nonconformist_nymphette
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
First Time WS... Snapdragons, lunaria, cleome... Help?
So this is my first year WSing. I planted some perennial...
david883
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™