LT1000 18HP Intek surging

cjharris02892June 20, 2010

My wife was using her LT1000 for about 1/2 hour when it started surging. It's been fine for the past three months. After hunting here I checked the air filter to make sure it was ok. I Checked carb linkage. I disconnected the fuel filter and connected the hose leading to the carb to a temp tank of gas. Then, while it was running, I squirted carb cleaner down the throat of the carb, still surging.

Well, then I took the engine cover off and discovered a huge mouse nest. This engine was not getting any cooling at all. Is the engine basically fried and that's causing the surging or do I need to stick with the carb being the culprit.

Yes, I cleaned the nest out and set traps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownie(7)

Either post the full sears model number (under seat area) or the engine model number found on the engine itself.
It is possible that the piston began galling into the cylinder wall, but its also possible that the additional heat has cause some crud to shed and partly clog the fuel main jet. I'm not very confident of the clogged main jet being the cause unless you are "one lucky son of a gun".

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 8:13PM
cjharris02892

Engine Model: 31H777 Type: 0605 E2

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 9:29PM
tomplum

You've got nothing to lose by cleaning up the carb and giving it a try.

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 10:41PM
mownie(7)

Well, it's going to be hard to "read the tea leaves" (sediment junk) in this carb bowl because the bowl will empty itself just removing it from the carb. Still it might be worthwhile to clean the outside of the bowl and the nut (or fuel solenoid) that holds the bowl to the carb body before taking the bowl loose. Then, hold a gas-proof catch container lined with a clean, white paper towel under the bowl while you loosen and remove the bowl. The bowl will drain but the towel will catch trash so it can be examined. Also look carefully at the inside surfaces of the bowl for trash that might be stuck there. Finally, remove the main jet, or look into it at least, to see if it is partly clogged.
If you find nothing trashy about the carb and bowl, you will need to proceed to remove the cylinder head for a look at what damage has been done to the piston and cylinder walls.

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 11:01PM
walt2002

Carbs for these things are very frustrating. I have a whole box of them that I can not get to work no matter how long I soak them in cleaner, use ultrasonic, tag wire, blow, swear.
Continuously lean.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Site traffic
Boy, sure no traffic here. Walt Conner
tinkerer200
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
Deciding between Husqvarna and Ariens
I am not well versed in things relating to the mechanics...
indianatim
Lawn tractor keeps cutting out
My john Deere l110 is running rough and seems to flooding...
davepoppe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™