Craftsman Mower Suddenly Doesn't Run - Checked A LOT of things!
I just bought a less-than-10-year-old Craftsman riding mower from a friend: model 917.270650 with a Briggs and Stratton Model 28U707-1174-E1 (15.5 HP). On it's maiden mowing job for me, it was mowing fine till I turned it off to talk to someone. When I tries starting it back up, it doesn't start!
* It turns over fine (batter charged);
* I pulled off the air filter to eliminate lack of air;
* While trying to start, it backfires when I put the choke on, but not when the choke is off (I assume I'm getting spark);
* I pulled the spark plug and gave it a good cleaning (since it SUDDENLY stopped running, I'd think a bad plug would make it sputter and lead up to not starting);
* I disconnected the fule line into the carb and I'm getting tons of gas;
* I checked the seat switch with a multimeter and I get a completed circuit when the seat has no weight on it, and an open circuit with full weight. I always thought it would be the other way around. I even jumped the connector just to see if it would work; nope.
* Gasoline is only 2 weeks old.
* The brake is depressed, and the blades are not engaged.
I have good gas flow, air, and spark. What's left, the coil? It is acting as though the seat switch is stopping it from running, or that there is an imaginary kill switch activated. Am I missing something?
Any thoughts would REALLY be appreciated!. Thanks in advance. -tony17112acst