Already Missing The Garden

lblack61(z5 NY)November 24, 2007

What I'd like is a way to grow vegetables in the winter. I'm really having an issue with prices in the stores lately.

I'm also thinking of WSing more root veggies next year, just because I can pull them up as I need them until the ground freezes-- like the carrots I'm still harvesting...and boy are they sweet! :-)

I think next year, I will do a much better job of canning and protecting areas from my dog. I didn't plant more greens late in the season because my dog was in constant dig mode and I gave in to her. Not next year! I'm jonesing for collard and mustard greens and spinach like you wouldn't believe!

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albertar(z7 LINY)

Hi Linda
I've got parsnips still in the ground, this weather is just crazy here, today and yesterday were in the 50's. I"m thinking of adding the parsnips to Christmas dinner. I love collards and I have grown them in the past, but haven't lately because of the cabbage worms. Have a good holiday season.
Alberta

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 7:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lblack61(z5 NY)

Thanks, Alberta...you too! :-)
Yep, my carrots are still in the ground, and in Feb, if I have to, I will put on my snowshoes and dig a hole to pull them up. I can't believe the prices on produce in the grocery stores lately...out of this world!
I would love to just mellow out and live by a "eat what you can grow and what doesn't grow don't eat" manner. I just bought a book by Barbara Kingsolver where she and her family spent a year doing that. I'm looking forward to reading it, when this semester of school is done.

L

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
I may have overdone things a bit...
So... I split out my 1 gallon pot of Di Ciccio broccoli...
pugetsoundgardener
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™