quick & easy mulch/weed control

earhtmother(z4a/b Can)June 17, 2014

I am trying to reclaim some badly neglected gardens-time & money created issues - so there are plants I am keeping established already
For a quick, easy & cheap weed killer/mulch could Ipull what I can, trim the grass etc down as low as possible, cover with several layers of newspaper then cover this with a Layer of cheap top soil? I know I would have to be vigilant about weeding anything new tthat popped up but would this effectively kill what was underneath?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pattyokie

I often do that with the newspapers--& when you say a few layers, think really thick, like a whole section--then I put grass clippings over them for a mulch. By next year it will have broken down & improved your soil. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 12:39PM
pattyokie

I often do that with the newspapers--& when you say a few layers, think really thick, like a whole section--then I put grass clippings over them for a mulch. By next year it will have broken down & improved your soil. Good luck. BTW, the easiest way to get the newspapers down is to put the dry papers into a garden cart or wheelbarrow & fill the thing with water. You want the papers to be wet when you put them down.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 12:41PM
earhtmother(z4a/b Can)

Thanks Pattyokie - knew the papers should be wet just wasn't sure how to do it, I have been putting off doing this for awhile because looking at the gardens made me feel so overwhelmed & guilty but itt is time to bite the bullet & get it done

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 3:05PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

In some 40 years of putting newspaper down to help extend the mulches I have not found it necessary to wet them first. I did one time and found the paper would tear very easily and was more trouble to place then dry paper was.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 11:41AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

We lay the paper, water it with a hose and then apply mulch over that. Haven't had a problem doing it that way.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
How can I get my soil to hold water longer?
I live in Augusta and I just bought a bunch of Bricko's...
ryank817
Clay
Moving to a new home with a blank canvas and landscape...
dnamama
Weeds and pollinators
Spring is just around the corner, uh huh yes it is,...
kimmq
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™