Observations on winter dieback

zaphod42May 6, 2013

I've been working on rose pruning the last week or so and have had a few 'Huh!?' moments.

Have a Hot Cocoa planted very near a Pretty Jessica. HC is three years old and PJ was a band planted last year about 18" H. Same bed - same soil - same environment. PJ was hardy to tips and it takes wind from the west which was rough this winter. I had to take HC back two thirds.

Queen of Sweden and Princess Alexandra are right next to each other. Barely had to prune anything on QOS. PA was better than HC, but a bit more than QOS.

Also, I think SDLM is hardier than given credit for. I know that there are people on the forum who have had issues and talk about how she can't handle the cold or has too much dieback. I disagree. She's currently larger than HC and maybe required pruning by one third. I think I lost the biggest chunk of her to my husband's snowblowing skills.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

It's always interesting to see which varieties do what. They're all so different. It might be a good idea to keep a log of how they did this year and compare to the next couple of years to see if there are trends or changes.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:32PM
zaphod42

I also had to prune Julia Child down to the ground. Weird.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:49PM
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

Hi Zaphod42: Thank you for the info. I'm glad to hear that Austins fare better than Hot Cocoa.

Austins are quite deep-rooted and I don't have to water them. It's Pink Peace Hybrid Tea which I have to water here.

All my roses survive except for mini rose Norwich Sweetheart ... its roots are too tiny, and I didn't winter-protect it. I will NEVER buy mini-roses for my zone 5a ... roots are too small in my rock-hard clay.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Does this Alfalfa Tea look right?
The first picture is the tea trying to bubble up through...
missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
suggestions from Chamblees
In late April we are going to Tyler, Tx to see the...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
osmocote potting soil
I saw piles of this potting soil at my local National...
view1ny NY 6-7
Belmont Yellow and Schmidt's Smooth Yellow
Somewhere there was a thread on these two roses, but...
Kippy
DA Winchester Cathedral
I am trying to find a white DA rose that will grow...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™