WKRP Secret Revealed

bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)November 24, 2005

Each Thanksgiving since 1989 and earlier, we all sit down to a viewing of the WKRP sitcom where the turkeys bomb the parking mall. We love it.

Back to the early 1980s...I used to be in radio and I had a bet with a college chum of mine that I could figure out the lyrics to the trailing theme music before he could. It was $20. Find out today that those elusive lyrics are not lyrics at all, but just gibberish as they sound.

The trivia page says that the lyrics were just gibberish thrown together by the studio musicians who were trying to compose a theme song for the end of the show. They had the music, but just wanted to run that by the bosses. The result - they kept the gibberish and we have the out theme today.

Mystery solved. I called my friend who lives in Iowa and reminded him of the bet (he had forgotten) and told him the bet was off. He laughed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

I guess I'm the only one who's smitten by this old brain teaser. BUT, you guys should check out the old WKRPs when they show up on re-runs. Very funny and very well written. And.... remember the trailer.

Bookmark   December 3, 2005 at 8:09PM
seedbandito(7 NC)

Gosh, I used to LOVE to watch that show! SHHH!!! (Don't look know, but we're showing our age, lol!!)

Now looking at the show schedule, all the previews, they sure got some stupid a** looking programs coming on, like Daisy does America. That looks like the stupidest thing I've seen!!! Just goes to show the mentality of the American couch potato!!!

Nancy

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 6:44AM
broodyjen

Okay, I used to love that show, too. I was probably too young to get alot of the jokes (I'm 26 now), but we watched it together as a family. My oldest sister lived in Cincy, and when we visited her, she would take us by that fountain that they show in the beginning credits.

I don't remember the trailing music, though. But I can still sing the opening theme!

Bookmark   December 10, 2005 at 8:27PM
Nurmey(5 Omaha, NE)

Every year the WKRP "turkey episode" comes up in conversation. I believe it was voted the funniest episode of a sit com ever shown on TV on one of those top "whatever" specials they do once in a while and I totally agree.

At the time I sang to the theme songs to those old shows. The words to WKRP song:

Baby, if you've ever wondered,
Wondered whatever became of me,
I'm living on the air in Cincinnati,
Cincinnati, WKRP.
Got kind of tired packing and unpacking,
Town to town and up and down the dial
Maybe you and me were never meant to be,
But baby think of me once in awhile.
I'm at WKRP in Cincinnati..

Have you ever heard a bunch of men break into a chorus of Beveryly Hillbillies? I have and it's scary!

Bookmark   December 11, 2005 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
List of Seed Companies Owned by Monsanto
If you want to avoid using GMO seeds, here is a list...
bbmiche
NJ annua flowerl seeds
Good morning! Can I put out my seeds now? They are...
Karen Ulisse
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
how long for annuals to sprout?
I moved and cannot find my records from last year....
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Sponsored Products
King Charles Matelasse White Twin Bedspread-Only
$119.99 | Bellacor
Moooi | Altdeutsche Clock
YLighting
Ambella Home Collection - Emile Bar Cabinet - 12547-630-001
Great Furniture Deal
Beauty & the Beast Morphing Mug
$17.99 | zulily
A & E Britannia Wall Bookcase With Doors - BRIT3PCSWALL 84IN DOORS MEDIUM
Hayneedle
Clairement Series Aluminum Medicine Cabinet with Mirror
Signature Hardware
Afina Signature Collection Double Door 24W x 30H in. Recessed Medicine Cabinet M
$889.00 | Hayneedle
Oggetti | Dune Pendant Light
$352.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™