5 or 7 leaves ?????

pembroke(6--Louisville KY)May 6, 2010

Looking at my Chrysler Imperial rose and noticed that it has come through the winter what I thought in good shape. Upon further investigation I find that this rose has 7 leaves instead of the standard 5 leaves.Please explain what I'm seeing. Gone wild or what? The bud looks like the bud of a CI rose.Thanks for your input. Pembroke

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

Normal HT stuff. Don't panic over things like this. HTs can have 3-, 5-, 7-leaflet sets. Your plant sounds healthy to me.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 7:08PM
york_rose

If it continues, persistently, to put out more and more leaves with seven leaflets instead of five that may be a sign that you've got a cane coming up from the rootstock, but if it's only just a few at the beginning of the growth and then it reverts to the leaves you remember, probably not.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 9:26PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Yeah, I didn't ask if these leaves were on a new cane from the base or from new growth on an existing cane. Makes a difference. Location of these leaves, please.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 11:21PM
pembroke(6--Louisville KY)

sorry about taking so long getting back to you with answer about new canes or old canes. The old canes have anywhere from 5-6- or 7 leaves the new canes coming from the older canes have 5 and 7 leaves. the buds look like the CI buds from past. Thanks for all your help. Pembroke

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
I will be converting my rose garden this spring
After two brutal winters where temperatures have reached...
dmoore66
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Is "horticultural oil" just mineral oil?
I've been reading about it and am confused. I know...
nonconformist_nymphette
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™