Tree ID Assistance

campbell914(6)April 6, 2013

This tree hedge in Cambridge is beautiful all year round. Wondering if anyone can help identify it. I thought it might be stewartia, but seems too narrow and the bark doesn't appear to peel.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

well.. you are the first to put a pic upside down.. not just sideways ... and i cant figure how to look at it ... my mind keeps wanting to think.. reflection in a pond.. and it hurts ...

the one with the power line going thru it???

ken

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 6:22PM
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

What's with all these ID requests with bare branches lately?

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 6:48PM
viburnumvalley(z5/6 KY)

Right-side up will always be simpler...but some additional images closer up to bark, stem, twigs, buds will aid in the ID. Also, see if there are any characteristic elements laying about on the ground that might offer an idea. Not always the best way to proceed, but seeds, accumulated leaves, branches, and other plant parts can provide clues.

campbell914: There are quite a few columnar plants used this way these days. Traditionally these have been rapid growing but short-lived species like hybrid poplars.

Now, you can find highly valued species like oaks, maples, sweetgum, tuliptree, hornbeam, and more with this fastigiate habit.

With the minimum information provided so far, I'd say those plants most resemble Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette'.

@WxDano: identification of plants in dormancy is one of the best skills a gardener can develop.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 10:47AM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

If you click on the photo (in Safari, anyway) it appears in a different tab, right side up.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 2:23PM
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

identification of plants in dormancy is one of the best skills a gardener can develop.

Yes. I led a snowshoe trip two weeks ago to do just that. We talked about how you need to have your face in the plant to do winter ID. Awful lot of pix on this board lately from 80 feet away!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 3:14PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Branching is like that of Dawyck beech.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™