The Beast has been slain

JoshTx(8a)May 6, 2013

After toiling for hours in the Texas sun, and getting beaten up by thorns, the Tiffany//Dr. Huey suckered bush that would grow to 6 feet tall and across and made mowing the lawn impossible has finally been uprooted and chucked. Here is how large it was underground compared to my foot. In it's place is a nice, new, own root DA Charlotte that I hope will grow as vigorously as the other bush did. Clearly the soil is rich and fertile there, and that spot gets hours and hours of sunlight. The underground ecosystem was thriving as well, with plenty of pill bugs, earth worms, lady bugs, and a nice soil composition. Victory is sweet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floridarosez9

Congratulations on vanquishing it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 7:59PM
seil zone 6b MI

Job well done!

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:58PM
roseseek

I HOPE you removed a whole lot more root than is shown in the photo! Huey is IMMORTAL unless fed Round Up. There would have been nearly as much root in the ground as there was bush growth above it. Each piece left in the soil has an excellent chance of regenerating him.... Kim

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:42AM
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

Hi JoshTx: It took me 1 hour to dug up Knock-out grafted on Dr. Huey. His root extended 3 feet to steal water from other flowers. Someone in Colorado commented in HMF that Dr. Huey sprang up from a spot, totally bare for the past 5 years!

Kim is right about Dr. Huey is being immortal. My neighbor poured gasoline into the roots, then covered up with a garbage can. Roundup didn't work for her.

I should had done what she did, except throw in a match.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 4:33PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I just had the same experience with Abe Darby/Dr. Huey yesterday. Roots went straight down 3 feet! Whew! So I know how you feel. Congratulations, Beast Slayer!

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
sara_ann-z6bok
Osiria rose - slow grower?
Does anyone else have an Osiria? Mine is fairly new...
HollyKline
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™