Container trees?

woodswalker88(6)April 19, 2012

I just got a package of trees from Arbor Day. It was mostly the crape myrtle & redbud that I wanted, but there's dogwoods, crabapple etc. They are twigs about 16" ft long.

Now that I have them, I'm like "what do I want these for?" Since I sent Arborday my contribution last year, we have planted mucho shrubs & trees in the yard & I don't think I have room for any more.

I could just toss them & forget them, but I wonder if I could just plant them in containers and keep trimming them & just keep them the size of shrubs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

There's a great post in the container growing forum about growing trees in containers. It can be done, but will require root pruning every two or three years. Otherwise the roots become a big woody tangle that takes up the whole pot, leaving too little space for the feeder roots.

Alex

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 8:52PM
Cher(6 SW OH)

Why not grow them on for a while and you might be surprised to find a space for another one and undoubtedly a relative or neighbor will end up wanting the rest after they've grown a couple years.
Cher

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 7:16AM
cearbhaill

Pot them up and if you decide you don't want them put them on Freecycle or Craig's list- I hate to see a viable tree "tossed."
Someone will want them.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 7:39AM
j0nd03

I unloaded a surplus of trees on a large tree order to a local nursery as a donation. I told them they could sell them or give them away to employees or customers. They gladly took them and potted them up.

John

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 7:51AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the neighbor once got some from AD ...

i wadded them all together.. and jammed them in one single one gal pot.. and ignored them until fall .. half lived.. half didnt ... which was the best success i ever had on multiple attempts.. lol ..

IMHO.. arbor day is a fine place for a donation ... but dont expect much on the product..

if you really want a given plant.. go buy it ...

anyway.. the MOST IMPORTANT thing with trees/shrubs.. in a pot.. is the potting MEDIA.. and it has nothing to do with soil/mother earth ...

one of the best EASY solutions.. is a bag of cactus mix media .. drainage is the most important factor .. and they do not like excess water.. like perennials/annuals...

ken

ps: i would toss them.. and forget.. but why not experiment ??? but for the further cost of the MEDIA... and that is your choice ...

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 7:57AM
More Discussions
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Alder tree has bark curling, cracking, and falling off
One of the Alder trees on our property in northern...
rocko_54
3 trees, 3 options...your thoughts on the best route
As you may have read in my other posts, I will be planting...
johniferous
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™