Stimulating lower tree branch growth?

rogerv_gwApril 8, 2014

We have some mature pittosporum tennufolia that our neighbors have hacked the lower branches off of, often leaving a foot long stump, and often with breakage. The trees have survived this, and I've cut off the extra that they didn't feel like removing (or couldn't reach).

I'd like to know if there's some way to stimulate lower branch growth on these couple of trees. I've heard that if you make some cuts in the trunk, that might work, but I don't really know how to do that.

Has anyone out there had any success with this, or know anyone that has? I could really use some advice.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the term you are looking for is: rejuvenation pruning ...

i have no experience with this plant.. so i googled it for you ...

it does not involve what you are thinking ... most plant have dormant buds.. that will trigger when a large branch is cut.. but it might take half the summer... but the key is usually that you want this to happen low to the ground... as you dont want a whole new bush.. at height... the stub left.. will eventually fail ... unless you are really thorough with followup pruning ...

hit the link.. while you are waiting for specific replies...

all that.. or the common rules of shrub pruning dont apply to this plant.. and i will be chastised mercilessly ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 7:05PM
gardengal48

Much more shrubby in nature than tree-like, removal of the lower branches generally results in a bare trunked specimen. Woody plants that will sprout from low on the trunk (under existing branches) are limited and if this was one, would have done so already. In most cases, new branch growth will only appear on the upper portions of the plant.

Try planting something low and leafy and shrubby in front of the pitts to hide the bare legs. It's about as good as you are going to get.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 7:13PM
rogerv_gw

Yes, my backup plan is to plant alphonse karr bamboo, which I am also using as lower screening (not second story) elsewhere. Since it probably would not do well under the trees, I should also take out one more pittosporum (leaving two for second story screening) to give the bamboo enough sun.

I just need to talk my wife into it, which at the moment is a monumental task. I was hoping to do something with our existing trees, but looks like our neighbors screwed us there. Maybe in a couple of years when she decides it's time to plant something, who knows?

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:54PM
gardengal48

The bamboo can tolerate partial shade easily. And it can - in time - provide sufficient height for even second story screening. You might want to also check out various Fargesia species - another clumping bamboo and very shade tolerant. And a range of heights available, depending on species.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Miliusa sinensis
Small tree of interesting flowers.
jujujojo_gw
Can anyone ID this wood? (firewood)
It burns very slowly. It's perfect for nighttime, and...
laura242424
Landscaping pine forest back yard
Hi, We have a house and the backyard is entire pine...
soc_jones
Green-limbed Tree?
What kind of tree is this with the green trunk &...
blakrab Centex
Sponsored Products
Hammary Baja Rectangular Storage Coffee Table - T2075207-00
$475.00 | Hayneedle
SBL1 Square Aluminum Anchor Base Bollard
Lightology
Artek | Tea Trolley 901
YLiving.com
Birds In Tree Table Lamp
$166.95 | Bellacor
Little SuzyS Zoo Witzy Makes A Wish Rectangular: 3 Ft. 3 In. x 4 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$52.00 | Bellacor