Brunnera problem?

gardenlady48(z5 IL)June 23, 2014

This is my second attempt in the past 5 yrs to grow Brunnera. This one started out great....east exposure, plenty of moisture....now what???? Darn!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

Mine get like that some years; some years (like this one so far) they don't. Doesn't appear to have any impact on the health of the plants despite how ugly it looks. Mine are still showing up where I planted them back in 2007 so I'm just letting them do their (ugly) thing and hoping they eventually stop doing it.

Mine are growing in full shade on the north side of my house. My guess would be they'd perform pretty much the same whether planted on an east side or a north side.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 7:35PM
gardenlady48(z5 IL)

thank you...I will just clip off the ugly leaves and hope for the best....

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 7:44PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I grow a number of Brunnera, but Jack Frost has never done well for me. Try another cultivar.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 6:26AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Here's a thread that may be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on Brunnera foliage of various varieties

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 6:58AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

One small partially browned leaf is a big problem?

I only grow the plain green-leafed unimproved Brunnera and enjoy the long season of blue flowers until mid-spring. Then the foliage disappears (for me) into the general sea of green in the shady border and I don't pay much attention to it, even though dry hot spells eventually cause some leaf edges to brown.

It's a favorite perennial. I like how my one plant has morphed into at least a dozen through reseeding.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 8:48AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

its a recent transplant ...

and from what i see... its the oldest leaves on the plant...

that were sacrificed during transplant shock..

simply remove them ...

after transplant... always focus on the new growth.. if that is growing with vigor.. then it means it settled in.. and going about its business ... yours look fat and happy in this regard ....

never fear.. to remove older leaves ... and when you do.. you should study the plant.. to learn.. how to ID the oldest leaves ... its how they are attached to the base of the plant .. in most cases

now.. if the new growth looked like that... then you would have a problem ... eh??

ken

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 8:58AM
gardenlady48(z5 IL)

Ken...u r extremely helpful! Thats the kind if help i look for on this forum. Thank u so much for sharing your knowledge with me.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Potentilla question
Does anyone have experience with Potentilla fruticosa...
waynez5_ia
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
E-mail from GW?
Did anyone else get an e-mail that was supposedly generated...
mxk3
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™