Recommendations for a Magnolia

GritzApril 16, 2014

Hi there!

This is my first post here so excuse my ignorance! >.We've recently moved into a new house and have began the daunting task of landscaping. I really want to plant a magnolia tree except I'm stuck on what variety to plant. I was hoping someone would be able to give me some suggestions!

I know that I want a deciduous tree, one who blooms before the leaves appear. I'd also like the blooms to be fragrant. They don't need to be overwhelmingly so, but at least a hint of fragrance, enough that you might slightly pick it up as you walk by. I'd prefer a variety that grows wider and not one with a more columnar growth habit (although I've been reading this can be changed to some extent with pruning?). I'm less concerned about bloom color (they're all so beautiful!!) so long as the flowers are slightly fragrant.

Most importantly I want it to grow well in my zone. I'm in Vallejo, CA, USDA zone 9b, sunset zone 17. The weather here is incredibly mild. It rarely freezes in the winter but the summers are hardly ever hot (70 to 80 degrees and often overcast in the mornings) and we don't get a whole lot of rain, just guesstimating about 15 in. per year, mostly Dec-Feb. We also have clay soil.

Obviously I love the classic soulangeana, but so does everyone else in the neighborhood and it might be nice to have something a little different. But with so many different hybrids available its a little overwhelming! So does anyone out there have any suggestions or favorites?

Thanks!!

-Gritz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

How do deciduous Magnolias do in your zone?

I can't speak to that question, but I can tell you that the Star Magnolia (M. Stellata), is very aromatic and a survivor--flowers are creamy white.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 11:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gritz

To be honest I've never grown one before, so I can't say from personal experience how they do. The local nurseries carry many deciduous varieties and say they do well and I've seen neighbors with beautiful trees so they must do well enough.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Please help me identify this tree???
I have searched everywhere and can NOT find the name...
Terry Whitehead
Green-limbed Tree?
What kind of tree is this with the green trunk &...
blakrab
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Vulcan Magnolia
Just purchased a 4.5 inch "Vulcan" Magnolia....it...
viper114
Sponsored Products
Ingo Maurer | Johnny B. Good Pendant Light
$660.00 | YLighting
Frozen 'Radiant Heart' Sticky Note Cube
$8.99 | zulily
Blue 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Chrome Slide Rail Kit, Chrome Thermostatic Triple Valve & Square Head
Hudson Reed
Sunny Safari Toy Chest
Classic Hostess
Parisian Blue Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™