Red Riding Hood Penstemon dying

tacotac(5a)June 13, 2014

I bought 2 lovely red riding hood pentemons. I planted them along the garage with my rudbeckia, salvia, echinacea, etc....

I mulched since I planted everything. After the flowers were spent, I cut off the dead flower stalks. I heard they are supposed to bloom all summer, and it helps to dead head. Well, I noticed recently the leaves are turning a pale green color & the plant is starting to wilt. Some stalks have even turned crispy & dead already. The soil is moist, so it isn't dried out. What could be wrong with it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

when did yo plant them

why not a pic??

ken

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:22PM
tacotac(5a)

I planted them this spring. Sorry, here's some pics.
The pink stalky plants are them.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:34PM
tacotac(5a)

Here is what they look like now.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:36PM
jadeite(6/7)

I don't know where you live or what exposure your penstemons have, but penstemons need good drainage, lots of sun and fairly dry conditions. I have mine growing on gravel in full sun with very occasional watering, and I live in New Mexico.

Cheryl

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:41PM
gardenweed_z6a

My guess would be soil is too moist or else retains water. Penstemons do best in well-drained soil. I have them in full as well as part sun, growing in healthy sandy loam and all are thriving.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 9:20PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

My penstemons grow in sandy soil, full sun, gravel mulch. As Cheryl said, they need good drainage, and I killed a bunch I planted in average soil; it held too much moisture. I don't know if yours can be saved, but if they were mine, I'd move the mulch out of the way, dig them up, and plant them in a mound of sandy soil so they are above the surrounding soil, and mulch with gravel.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Mail Order Question
I would like to order some perennials on line as we...
huckdog1
daves10
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™