Rose Bush with Strange New Growth

tabbiekat(6 IL)May 1, 2012

This rose is either a Chrysler Imperial or a Mister Lincoln just planted last year. I just noticed this new cane that looks really strange, it has no thorns at all. This rose looks really awful this spring and has been struggling. I was just wondering if this is maybe it is a sucker growing from the roots or is it diseased? I am really thinking about replacing it. Thanks, Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
odie96(z7b SC)

Is it own root or grafted? If it's own root it's probably a new cane, but if it's not I'd say you are getting growth from the rootstock which would mean that your rose has reverted back to whatever. Was there a rose planted there before you planted this one? That could be your answer there.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:37PM
tabbiekat(6 IL)

I don't know if it is own root or grafted. They were cheap potted roses that I bought at Home Depot last year. I bought some really nice roses from a nursery but wasn't able to afford to get all that I needed there because they were pretty expensive. I do know that there was not another rose planted there,since this is a new bed that I created. I think I will let it bloom and see what happens. It just looks weird with no thorns on the cane. I have already been looking for replacements for that one anyway, since it is not performing well. Thanks for responding :)

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:59PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

We have what I think is an older climbing Don Juan that has canes that look just like that one. It also had some big Dr Huey suckers, but those were green and not the red and smooth like the Don Juans.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 10:17PM
cactusjoe1

The cane has a single terminal flower bud, therefore is not compatible any commercial root stocks I am aware of. I suspect it is Mister Lincoln. It also looks like you have buried the bud union deep, which would explain why the cane is arising a short distance from the original plant. Leave it alone, sllow the bloom to develop and see if the flower looks like Mister Lincoln.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 1:27AM
flaurabunda(6a, Central IL)

It looks just like new canes that emerge from the mulch on roses where I've buried the bud union. Looks good to me; I often don't see thorns on tender, red new growth.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:29AM
seil zone 6b MI

Congratulations! You have a very healthy new basal cane on your rose! If it was just planted last year it's starting to mature some and giving you new canes. That's a good thing!

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:31AM
jacqueline9CA

I agree with seil - that is an example of a rose which has sat there for a while growing roots, and is now putting out its first grown-up cane - it looks fabulous! Congratulations! This is the beginning of its real life as a rosebush. Just give it some time to grow - roses do not become full, large bushes instantly. Looking forward to some pictures from the Fall flush -

Jackie

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:32AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

It looks absolutely beautiful. Enjoy.

Sometimes with super fast, happy growth, they just skip making prickles.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Palatine roses in Ontario...
Has anyone ever ordered from Palatine Roses? If so,...
scott_madison
Question for celeste
I was reading some old posts of yours and seen that...
mooseymommy1
Does anyone grow First Prize own-root?
I have seen a huge First Prize plant but don't know...
erasmus_gw
Looking forward to SPRING FLUSH!
The past couple of weeks my rose bushes have begun...
sara_ann-z6bok
Posy Parade!
My garden is in full spring bloom so my kitchen table...
SoFL Rose z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™