Foliage just pops

rouge21_gw(5)June 25, 2013

Many of us were impressed with miclino's "Little Honey Hydrangea".

Well today I took a shot of one of my "Aralia Sun King". It is quite hardy having easily survived this past tough winter.

The foliage is quite dense and not yet July 1st and this specimen has already grown to 3 feet in width and 2 feet in height.

It is in significant shade and it just glows as I hope the picture shows.

What perennials do you have that light up your shady corner?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 7:15

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miclino(5)

Rogue I was eyeing that at the nursery but it is expensive. Can you get the picture from further back so we can get a look at the whole plant? Thanks

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:42PM
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

It does provide interesting contrast foliage, but there is something about those yellowish-leaved plants that makes me want to strap an iv around them and forcefeed the suckers some nutrients...

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 4:48PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Here it is miclino:

This picture is late afternoon, the only time when the whole plant gets direct sun. From 7 am till about 3 pm it is very much shade.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:11PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Nice! I really like gold and chartreuse foliage as long as it's healthy. The contrast between the bright gold or green-gold and a dark green just lights up the garden. My gateway plant was a gold Hakone grass, but I've since added a variety of gold plants throughout my gardens. I might just have to try one of these.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 8:35PM
miclino(5)

Now that is nice. I;m almost tempted to throw something out to make space for it!

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 9:41PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I have several yellow-green hostas that light up shady areas: Sun Power, Sum and Substance, August Moon, and Gold Drop. These are all older varieties. I'm sure there are many more newer ones available. I have a yew with yellow-green spring foliage, even a native elderberry with yellowish-green new leaves. If you like that colour (as I do), there are many choices that range from cheap to more expensive.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 8:25AM
rouge21_gw(5)

For sure there are many hostas that very much brighten up a shady location but I when I started this thread I was more looking to non hosta plants as there are some of us that are not as enamoured to the ubiquitous hosta.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 11:58

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:52AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

To get that color from a vine/ground cover, I love sweet potato vine. In z5 (pretty sure) you'd have the luxury of not worrying about where you put it, no permanent commitment, maybe good for a new areas waiting for perennials to fill in, to pep up CL fence. This color goes so well with purple/red foliage, they make each other POP, to my eye. I don't do much with plain green leaves.

Heucherella might appeal.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:42PM
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

This two are just doing a great job in this shady area. They are Leucothoe Rainbow and Bowles Golden Sedge. This can be a VERY wet area, as the rainwater runs into this area, so it can stand with inches of water until it soaks in. These two are not only taking all of the water runoff, but thriving here. This is their first year here and they haven't missed a beat, so far. So glad I decided on the Leucothoe for this area.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 4:24PM
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

Heucherella Solar Power has done well for me in bright shade.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 6:58PM

Creeping Jenny is bright yellow/green. I have it growing in about 3 hrs of afternoon sun.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 7:01PM

Athyrium "Lady in Red" is a pretty light green fern with interesting red stems.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 7:06PM
dowlinggram

Dgregory--creeping jenny is a favorite of mine too but mine seems to be brighter than yours. I have it under a huge maple tree where it thrives. It really brightens up that dark space. The nicest thing about it is it's easy to control. I t's fairly shallow rooted. I just grab handfuls and pull then smooth out the rest and you'd never know I did it.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 7:17PM
boday

May I suggest Lamium 'Lemon Frost' or maybe Lamium 'Anne Greenway', if you want yellow accents. And we haven't even got to Lamium 'Pink Pewter' or 'Orchid Frost', if you want silver.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 11:36PM
trovesoftrilliums(5)

Tradescantia Sweet Kate

I hope my pics show right side up.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 2:13PM
trovesoftrilliums(5)

Hypericum Brigadoon

This plant is two years old and still tiny. Has not "filled in quickly" as promised but I still enjoy it.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 2:17PM
trovesoftrilliums(5)

Pulmonaria majeste
New this year from bluestone sale

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 2:20PM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

I am with boday Lamium Lemon Frost is amazing. It literally glows at dusk and on cloudy days. Can't wait till fall to split it again...

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:30AM
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois

I'm going to go broke if I don't stay away from this forum or husband might lock me up first. Oh no, maybe he'll kid nap my computer.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 11:47AM
boday

Guy

Why wait to split it? It's Lamium, it roots easily As an experiment - take a small chunk and cut the tops off. Stick them into an annual basket, keep moist and in the shade. Right next to the rest of the Lamium. Three weeks and you're cooking. Or even just stick them in the ground next to your patch.

I'm messing around trying out L/F next to plants.

Lemon Frost - Obsidian, Green Spice, Peach Flambe, Gold Zebra and Solar Eclipse.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 12:19PM
socks

Rogue, don't you just love those plants which help out that way? But I know how you feel, Gyr...when a plant looks yellow, you just want to "help" it.

This spring I've put in some Key Lime Pie heucheras and a few coleus. I'm surprised the coleus aren't doing too well, just sitting there not growing. I thought they were fool-proof.

Last February the euphorbia put forth a beautiful lime green bloom. I was so surprised, had no idea it would bloom then or like that. I was just glad for the greyish foliage. A few little seedlings have popped up, so I hope to snag an extra plant or two. Here's a picture from Feb. It's called Wulfenii Shorty.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 12:31PM
trovesoftrilliums(5)

Patty -

I know exactly what you mean!

I feel like a plant fiend. Gotta plant them All!

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 1:31PM
rouge21_gw(5)

and Solar Eclipse.

I am not a huge fan of heucherella but SE really caught my eye last season and I bought lots. They are all growing very vigorously this season.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 2:07PM
boday

I've had Heucherella 'Redstone Falls' for a couple of years and am quite pleased with it. With the caveat, that the spreading hasn't happened. Trialing Gold Zebra this year, looks to need more sun than the dappled shade it has at present.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:04PM
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois

Redstone Falls Returns and looks nice for me as well but no spreading here either. I thought this year it might. No luck yet.
trovesoftrilliums- I'm happy some plants won't grow in zone 5

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
I love wood Anemones...
Or Anemone nemorosa. They are just starting to poke...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
NEWBIES: dealing with heavy clay soil
i praise the Lord.. i have never had to deal with it...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
spring things
replanted this as part of last years back garden renovation...
daves10z7annv
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Sponsored Products
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Caribbean Ivory/Blue 3 ft. 11
$70.97 | Home Depot
Impressions Very Pale Green with Dark Brown Foliage 18 x 18 Microsuede Pillow
$129.95 | Bellacor
BluWorld Contempo Solare Indoor Wall Fountain - CS3DB
$395.00 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs CorInth Beige 2
Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Martha Stewart Oolong Tea Green 2 ft. 3
Home Depot