Rumex - Bloody Dock Problem

L_RANKINJune 29, 2011

I'm in zone 7. I have 3 Bloody Docks (Rumex Sangenius) that are about 5 years old and have come back every year. This year, they have come back very nicely but, over the last week or so, the leaves have started turning black and look they are rotting. Our temperatures are above normal (90s already) but I'm not sure that's the problem. Does anyone know anything about these plants? What should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gillespiegardens(Z6 cinti ohio)

Assuming that your docks are still alive a month after your posting :)and you still have not found the problem - They are known to be moist soil lovers and to wilt severely in the heat and drought... though timely watering will help it bounce back (like impatiens do)
and they should be divided every 3 yrs to reinvigorate the plants and keep them from dying out. that means that they are really considered "short lived perennials" though most nurseries fail to point that out. I dont know if any of this info covers your black leaf problem but its possible that its a combo of the two with the above normal temps.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
How to ask Houzz a question?
When the switch over first happened I could easily...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
daves10
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™