Some sort of Hickory or What?

drrich2(6)April 12, 2012

Hi:

I'm in southwestern KY in a home we bought over a year ago. There's a tree out front & to the side maybe 15 - 20 feet tall, with what I think you call compound pinnate leaves. I've not seen what kind of nuts it makes yet, and would've guessed it for a black walnut.

It's not a black walnut. Whipped out my copy of Native Trees for North American Landscapes and did some checking. Black Walnut doesn't have a terminal leaflet, and this tree does. Pecan Trees have a larger number of leaflets. This tree tends to have either 3 or (more usually) 4 leaflets on each side, plus a terminal leaflet, for a total or 7 to 9 leaflets on a leaf.

Bark seems fairly smooth, at least at this stage of its life.

Any idea what this tree is? I don't know whether it was planted deliberately or is native or not.

Thanks in advance!

Richard.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Some type of Ash, I think. Fraxinus is the genus name.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 7:16PM
drrich2(6)

Thanks. If so, that leaves the quandary about what (if anything) to do with it. I wouldn't plant an ash tree due to the threat of eventual emerald ash borer attack (they have been collected in some countries in KY, though as yet I don't know them to be present in mine). Considering how long trees live, this raises the question of whether it's 'just a matter of time,' and removing the tree now better than waiting to the borers trash it in 10 years or so.

Bummer. I've got almost no experience with ash, but that's a nice tree.

Richard.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 8:04PM
esh_ga

Frankly, I say enjoy it while you have it. It may be one of the lucky ones to survive and lend it's genes to new cultivars of resistant trees!

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 8:14PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Does it turn yellow to purple in the fall?

Once we decide on ash if I recall white ash has a "u" shaped leaf scar, green ash some other shape lol.

I like ash trees. Shame about EAB. St Louis is on the fringe now also so I have similar concerns.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 8:28PM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

That's definitely not a hickory. It looks like an ash, but I'm not too familiar with distinguishing ash bark on young trees. If I had to guess I would say it could be a green ash.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 8:30PM
drrich2(6)

I don't remember what the Fall color was like last Fall.

Thanks for the help, everybody. I'm still mulling over whether to take it down while it's fairly small, vs. risk letting it get big and the bugs kill it.

Richard.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™