log furniture from trees that must be cut?

candogal(5b)April 22, 2012

I feel like I'm posting about meat recipes on a vegetarian cooking website. :-) So I won't get scalped, of our one acre lot, other than the house, 90% is native woodlands. We love our woodlands, unlike some of our neighbors, who have clear-cut and have vast lawns. I'm even slowly growing native woodland flowers from seed.

But the woodlands are coming in on us, and unless we want to let the the trees take the lot back over, it's high time for some tree work. As a result of our leach field failing, we can get the heavy crane in where it needs to be. (Since crushing the leach field is a non-issue.) We're having a 100+ foot pine that's dying from lighting taken down. Also some branches from the oak that's attacking the house. Some maples are doing the limbo to get enough light, so they'll come down altogether. (It's wild how much they've bent themselves.) And we reluctantly decided to cut a healthy 100+ foot pine because it's so close to the house and hopefully it will be 20-30 years before a crane can get back there again.

After all is said and done, we are going to have A LOT of logs available. Does anyone know a good resource for how to build outdoor furniture from logs? The books I've found deal with building furniture from smaller branches. Our back "yard" is obviously pretty rustic, so outdoor furniture like this would fit right in.

Thanks, Trish

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poaky1

I have a book but it is mostly pictures and no details on how to do it. I would go on Amazon and look for a book (or wherever you want to go. Amazon has used books that are in good shape and priced low. I would also try to check the web for info. I am using branches from my dead sycamore and other trees to make a section of fence as a backdrop for one of my tree strips. I havent gotten to it so I will be attempting it is more truthful. But that is easy drill, nail and glue. If you have a Big Lots store or Tractor supply store they have those rustic wood swings on an A frame. Look if you can copy their joinery technique. Well, good luck with it anyway.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 8:26PM
idaho_gardener

Hey Trish. How about making lumber from your trees? Last year I was in Alaska helping my brother cut cedar trees into 2x6 lumber to make a deck on his cabin in a remote island. We used a chainsaw with an attachment called a 'chainsaw mill'.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 4:14PM
cearbhaill

What you need is one of those chain saw artists that make totem poles and other carvings. If you have access to any arts and crafts fairs they are usually there doing demos and selling pieces. You could very likely trade them chunks for work done.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
need suggestions for trees
looking for ornamental small evergreen shade tree for...
sherylraeh
How to tell male and femals Black Gum apart?
There's a Black Gum tree at a local nursery, and I'm...
farmboy1
Trees for wet heavy clay soil?
Trees for wet heavy clay soil? The soil is sort of...
nerys54
Prunus mume are blooming in the South.
Pictures taken on February 3, 2015 at Wuhan (capital...
jujujojo_gw
Vulcan Magnolia
Just purchased a 4.5 inch "Vulcan" Magnolia....it...
viper114
Sponsored Products
Drink Up Bar Cart
| Dot & Bo
Moes Home Euston Glass Dining Table
Beyond Stores
15" x 108" Runner
$59.90 | Horchow
Entryways Flowers Weather Beater Polypropylene Mat - B9003
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Topaz Swarovski Crystal Lamp Shade Finial
$24.99 | Lamps Plus