Any hope for my damaged tree?

JasonTaylor20April 19, 2014

So I recently purchased this house in the summer of 2013 and we have a fairly nice back yard. About a month or so ago, I noticed a tree that was whitening on one half and the bark is peeling away from the tree on the other half. I haven't ever owned a home before so this is the first time I have ever had to deal with this. I have been watering the tree like crazy hoping that will help but so far nothing. Is my tree dying? Is there anything I can do to save it? It is in full bloom right now and is very pretty but I am worried for the future of the tree. There are some little white things coming out of the bark in certain places as well. Does this indicate anything? Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JasonTaylor20

Some additional pics...

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:22PM
JasonTaylor20

Some additional pics...

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:23PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Answer is no.
However it might last one or even 2 more years. The responsible thing to do is to cut it down, but if you aren't worried about it destroying the fence and you really need the shade, you could always leave it. I wouldn't take any naps under it.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 8:24PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

first you give us some pix of the leaves and flowers that we can focus on ... so as to ID it .. and if not here.. then the name that plant forum ...

which would them lead us to research whether it can be rejuvenated ... i suspect it might actually be a shrub... rather than a tree... and if so.. there are things that can be done .

as you see it.. it wont be any more ... but it does not.. necessarily follow.. that it is dying...

and i would probably start.. after ID.. by cutting the back part to about 3 inches.. and seeing how the plant responds ... but lets see what it is

ken

ps: if its an ornamental pear ... just be done with it... lol .. i just cant tell in that one pic ... does it smell horrible??? .. like wet dirty gym socks???

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 9:35AM
lazy_gardens

In short, no. The missing bark will not regrow, and the mushrooms coming from the trunk indicate lots of long-dead wood in there.

Start planning a replacement. Pick a species that is suited to your area, preferably a native tree. That's probably a Bradford Pear ... common, fast growing and short-lived.

" have been watering the tree like crazy hoping that will help" ... this only helps if the tree was short on water. If you find any other plants that are ailing, find out what's wrong before you start piling on the remedies. You can kill them if you do the wrong thing.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 9:48AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Ken - it's an apple tree. The flowers are fairly clear in the first picture and the spent flowers and leaves are absolutely clear in the second picture. Whether an ornamental or fruit apple is not possible to tell. It's pretty badly diseased but could last a few more years as it gradually dies. It will not look any prettier as it does so.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Green-limbed Tree?
What kind of tree is this with the green trunk &...
blakrab Centex
mountain ash question
Will a mountain ash seedling come true to the parent...
waynez5_ia
Spring pics
Couple spring pics on a rare mild day: Chinese elm...
beng12
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Prunus mume are blooming in the South.
Pictures taken on February 3, 2015 at Wuhan (capital...
jujujojo_gw
Sponsored Products
Chainlink Chocolate and Orange Six Piece Queen Duvet Set
$399.00 | Bellacor
Patio Living Concepts Lamps San Juan 60 in. Outdoor White Floor Lamp with
Home Depot
Embroidered Blue Floral Drum Lamp Shade 15x16x10.5 (Spider)
$79.98 | Lamps Plus
Cobalt Occasion Vase
$19.99 | zulily
Canaan Teapot Single-Hole Bathroom Faucet with Pop-Up Drain
Signature Hardware
Illumine Lamps 27 in. Polished Steel Table Lamp CLI-LS421290
Home Depot
Furniture of America Ravena Oak 7-piece Cherry Dinette Set
Overstock.com
Campania International Autumn Chipmunk Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-350-AL
$34.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™