John Deere 425 No spark won't start

ALLJDJuly 22, 2011

I have a 425 AWS lawn tractor and it won't start. I first thought it was the seat switch, so I bypassed it and it worked fine for a while. The fuel pump works and both 15 amp fuses are good. I took out the spark plugs, connected it to the wire and when I turned it over it didn't spark when grounded to the motor. Neither side sparks so I don't think it is the coils. Does any one have any other ideas, Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aws425

Replace "time delay" module. It used to be around $20 from your dealer. Item 30 in the diagram.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 7:38AM
ALLJD

Thank you for responding to my question. I put in the new part and it worked perfectly. It cost less than $20.00 for the part. This is a great website!

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 12:55PM
apalmerjr

Uhh, exactly where is that time delay module? Wife's telling me ours won't start and I investigated it and it doesn't have any spark either. This must be a common problem with these.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 7:53PM
aws425

If your sitting on the tractor, It's on the left side near the rear of the engine compartment. In the wiring harness assy. It's a square component and my new one was round.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 10:05AM
herstads_gmail_com

I had the same thing. I stressed over it for a few days, thinking what the dealer would charge to get it fixed, then I read this page, bought the time delay module, for 20 bucks, and in ten minutes was out mowing! That little part is big trouble when it fails. At least its easy to change, and cheap. I'm so glad this forum exists, it saved me a lot of time and expense for sure.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 10:45PM
siberfile

Thank you for the information. I had the same problem but it manifested itself with what I thought, was related to the heat of the engine. I replaced the time delay module and tractor is running fine. Module cost was $21.95. An alternative, the igniter would have cost close to $300.00.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
Seized Ariend Snowthrower???
My dad has an Ariens 24" 6hp 2 stage snowthrower,...
andrelaplume2
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
Craftsman FS 5500 clutch issue.
With the engine running, when attempting to drive forward...
mrgizmos
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™