Transplanting LAVENDER 'out of season' zone 6/7

blueberrier1June 5, 2010

Have transplanted many perennials when in bloom, successfully, though not at suggested times. These are my first lavender plants and due to construction in three weeks, I MUST move five bushel sized plants that are in bloom now. Would you pros suggest immediate pruning, so the cut tips have a few weeks to harden before moving, or should I prune just prior to digging and transplanting to the temporary site (for three months)? How much top growth should I remove? In Sept, the plants will be returned about five feet from their present site, so soil will be familiar.

I always use surveying tape to mark north orientation and reset plants the same. When I transplant perennials in summer, I also provide semi-shade for sunny plants for the first week. Could I divide these plants at this time without substantial losses? The plants were grown from small 4" pots planted spring 2007 and have never been divided.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Lavender cannot be divided; it is actually a small shrub. In my experience, except for small plants, it transplants very poorly. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 6:02AM
conniemcghee

I have also heard it doesn't transplant well. I got away with it this year with a plant that was about a year old, but it wasn't happy.

On the bright side, they seem to grow very quickly. This is the second year on my Hidcotes, and they are full-sized from a 4" pot planted last spring. Maybe you could try to dig as much of the root ball as possible, and replace them if it doesn't work out?

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 7:50AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I have no problem transplanting them. When I put in a lavender garden I purposely plant too close together for the first year. The second year as they fill out in the spring I remove every other one to a different location. I have never lost any plants doing this and no pruning is needed. If they were in bloom I would cut them back, however. Al

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 9:48AM
gardengal48

My experience with transplanting or dividing lavender is the same as lacyvail's - it doesn't like it and perhaps even less so at this time of year. Very young plants may fair better but "bushel" sized will sulk at best if not just give out. They are inexpensive plants and grow fast. I'd consider just replacing them.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 11:44AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Any Lavender 5 or more years old should be replaced, rather than transplanted. They get too woody and are not attractive at that point. Our neighbor was in the lavender products business with four acres of lavender and replaced her plants every 5 years. Al

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 2:51PM
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

A friend told me different species of them behave differently, but my experience is not much luck. I bought one labeled just 'lavender' in a 3" pot last year, didn't plant it, didn't baby it over winter (sat on porch) and then this spring, to my surprise IT CAME BACK. Left it alone to establish, it came back in full force, finally planted it -- and now it's dead.

Point being. It could take all the neglect and abuse it got from being forced to live it a 3" pot over winter and sitll survive, yet it could not handle being put into the ground a few weeks ago, BEFORE it got really hot (and I kept it watered). So that's my experience.

Can't tell you the issue, but if Birds & Blooms has a search on their site, try that. Probably 2009. I remember an excellent article about growing lavender, how to properly plant, etc. Maybe it has some hints????

Good Luck !!!

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
NEWBIES: dealing with heavy clay soil
i praise the Lord.. i have never had to deal with it...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
Does Anyone Do Mixed Perennial Containers For The Deck/Patio?
As opposed to annuals? I've been seeing some pretty...
catkinZ8a
When is the best time to divide Siberian iris?
I live in SW PA, and last year I noticed that my SIberian...
vlk20
Why all the old stuff?
I'm curious--why am I seeing so many resurrected posts...
Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
Sponsored Products
Children's Garden Tool Set
$14.99 | zulily
Gardman 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse - R687
$39.51 | Hayneedle
SoHo Sign Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Blue Three-Piece Gardening Tool Set
$8.99 | zulily
Trans Globe 4189 Pole Lantern - 22W in. - 4189 WH
$321.10 | Hayneedle