Ariala Sun King

Ruth_MI(z5MI)June 2, 2014

This has been on my "to buy when I figure out a spot" list. I just thought of a perfect place for one, but am wondering how these have grown for those of you who've had it for a few years,

Rouge21, I think you bought a few last year or the year before...did they survive the brutal winter OK? Are you happy with them?

Others?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davids10 z7a nv.

i am z7a but after the tops die down i put 2 or 3 inches of mulch on and they come through fine-do like a protected position in part shade-heavier mulching would probably bring the aralia through for you

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 10:16PM
rouge21_gw(5)

'ruth', you might have seen my (too) many posts extolling the virtues of this shade plant. I love it.

I have 3 plants at different locations on our property and all 3 easily made it through this past brutal winter. I am confident it could be hardy to a USA zone 3.

(Here is one of them from late last August)

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 8:37AM
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

Beautiful! Thanks for the follow up.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 9:15AM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Yeah, this really is a great plant and reliably hardy. I don't winter protect.

Rouge, is that 'Bobo' next to it? I think you had posted pics of that hydrangea and I picked one up last year. Still in a holding bed, but if that's what you have next to the aralia, I think I might now know where to put it!

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 9:07PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Yes that's "Bobo".

(But just to let you know ASK in this picture is in a much shadier somewhat drier location than B as it is directly under the roof eave which you cannot see).

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 12:32AM
rouge21_gw(5)

UPDATE:

Ruth, while I was out this morning I snapped a picture of one of our ASK. It is now 4 feet by 4 feet and thriving under the roof eave. (I kind of hope that it doesn't grow any larger until more things mature in this newer garden it now overly dominates.)

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 10:33

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 9:01AM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Hmmmm......I really like that astrantia with it. What happened to 'Bobo'?

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 10:46AM
rouge21_gw(5)

Good to notice this change 'thyme'.

I moved these 2 "bobo" in the fall and supplemented them with 3 more to form a border in this same garden. I will show you the results in a couple of weeks as these hydrangeas are now opening up.

I put in the astrantia knowing they would be in flower much sooner than those 2 "bobo" but they are still kind of small. Hopefully next season they will come into their own.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 12:33PM
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

Beautiful!! Thanks for posting the update.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 4:30PM
rouge21_gw(5)

UPDATE:

'ruth', with the cooler and wetter spring and summer, this particular ASK has grown too large in its present location. As of today it is 6 feet across and about 3.5 feet tall. Next year I will regularly trim it regularly to keep it a more manageable.size.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 12:03

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 12:02PM
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

I bet it's gorgeous! Thanks for the update. I didn't end up getting one this year, but maybe next.

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 2:07PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Rouge, mine is also enormous this year. I trimmed quite a bit back just a couple weeks ago and kept the shape.

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 6:55PM
green_go

I bought one about a month ago and planted on the North side of the house. It doubled in size in just one month... Oh boy - this would be a battle to keep it in check.

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 10:44PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Any chance you could post a picture of yours thyme2dig?

Here are some of the "flowers" showing on mine right now.

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 5:36PM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

well rouge, it looks like my style of planting is what you might want for your aralia to stay small, because mine has survived but def NOT become big. I have it in open shade (no direct sun) and growing up through a ground cover of yellow and green euonymus. yours is robust for sure. i alrdy grow quite a few yellow leaved woodies, but we will be picking up many more this month from Broken Arrow. The aralia sun king reminds me a little of the yellow leaved philadelphus, though the mock orange has smaller leaves.

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Trying any new perennials this year?
Just wondering what new perenniaks everyone is trying...
bellarosa
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™